It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 12:20

3013 and leaking batteries.

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

DaleS

3013 and leaking batteries.

Post04 Nov 2007, 19:18

Do any of you have any experience cleaning up a module that has crud on it from an apparently leaking battery? I purchased a non-working watch that looked very nice. Perfect filter, gold (filled) case and bracelet in good condition, but allegedly needing a battery! I didn't expect much in the way of a module.
When I opened up the watch I discovered that there was a great deal of smegma on the pc board and decided that I had nothing to lose by trying to clean it. Using a microscope and some fine brushes and a cleaner, I scrubbed as much of the stuff off the traces and spaces as I could. Leaving it to dry overnight, I put in a pair of batteries and to my amazement it lit up. All the functions seem to work and it can be set as per instructions. You can imagine how thrilled I am to have an inexpensive working watch from this era.
My question is: What is the proper process for cleaning a watch like this? I don't know if what I have done will cause future damage and I don't know if I have all the corrossive materials removed from inaccessible areas. I am worried that the damage will continue.
Once again, thank you for taking time to respond.
Dale

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

: 3013 and leaking batteries.

Post16 Nov 2007, 22:41

hey Dale,
after so many years the green residue or powder is no longer harmful. that's just the outcome of a chemical process.
when cleaning a watch like this try the contacts first as the rest of the residue shouldn't have any effect - of course if it hadn't consumed the module in the first place years ago. today it just remains as a stain that looks bad.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: 3013 and leaking batteries.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : 3013 and leaking batteries.

Post20 Nov 2007, 15:29

azimuth_pl wrote:after so many years the green residue or powder is no longer harmful. that's just the outcome of a chemical process..

I try to brush or neutrelize as much of the green stuff off as possible. I'm thinking the powder IS still very dangerous to a circuit. The residue is still very acidic generally(note the fizzing/bubbles when contacted with Lime Away) and probably only needs some additional moisure to continue the chemical process. I even dab around trimmer terminals and other points adjacent to the batteries that got crusty during a "forgotten battery" episode of days gone past. If a Q-tip(cotton swab will fit, I'm thinking one should neutralize all metal acid crystals.

Don't want to feed the green acid trolls :mrgreen: ! :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Electronical