It is currently 18 May 2024, 01:19

Bulova 'Big Block'

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Bulova 'Big Block'

Post24 Apr 2009, 03:30

I have a Bulova 'Big Block' the module has been tested outside the case and all functions work as they should however I cannot get the watch to operate using the command 'push pull' button.
Would someone be able to post some tips and\or some photo's of the interior connections to help me along?
I am not sure if there is a connector missing to activate the time mode, there is a contact plate which slots into a groove on the inside of the command button but I don't know how it is supposed to line up and activate the time function :-?
All tips and advise would be gratefully received.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Bulova 'Big Block'

Post24 Apr 2009, 16:38

Mick, I just took a great series of pictures, showing the relationship between all the contacts, etc. I have to run out, but will post up these up to the gallery before this evening. I've used a standard Hughes battery holder/chassis with major chunks cut out, to show this the easiest(I think).

Last edited by retroleds on 26 Apr 2009, 16:28, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post24 Apr 2009, 16:41

Oh hell, here's the rest, but not much text.

http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post24 Apr 2009, 16:56

Thank you very much Ed :-D

The photographs especially the ones with the text are very helpful. :-D

I thought the 'clip' was somehow part of the circuit and couldn't make sense of how it was going to fit, hopefully with the new information I can get it working again.

Regards Mick.
Last edited by bucko170 on 24 Apr 2009, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post24 Apr 2009, 19:34

I like those pics of Ed tinkering the 'brain' with tweezers. Showing how to prep it to be placed into a Bulova 'body'.
You really do look like a digital watch paramedic. :lol:

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post24 Apr 2009, 19:53

And who took the photos? Headcam?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : Bulova 'Big Block'

Post24 Apr 2009, 21:04

rewolf wrote:And who took the photos? Headcam?

Wired shutter release, held in palm of hand, squeezed by little finger(having big bass player fingers is occasionally handy).

Small correction - the retaining clip is sort of a backup connection to the circuit. Theoretically the stem would probably be making enough contact with the case, so the clip wouldn't really matter, but the clip does provide an absolute electrical path to the stem.

Here is the view of the stem and clip, and how the button will be angled when properly installed. The clip locks into the outmost slot, so the stem is pushed in and then rotated, before installing the retaining clip.

For a major "Pimp My Big Block" convert it to DOW or Hughes Message module thus:
Final details...

Last edited by retroleds on 25 Apr 2009, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post25 Apr 2009, 04:08

SUCCESS .........well sort of.

The plastic housing forming the groove for the push\pull contact had been snapped off on one side (I imagine that previously someone has forced out the command button) as a result the slotted contact (B on the photo's) was out of line and was making an irregular contact with the command button.

I have managed to insert a small piece of plastic between the housing and the watch case to push the slotted contact back into position - or as near as possible, boy was it fiddly ~:(

The time display is now working :-D the date also works but sticks on occasion - can't get the seconds to function though.

Without replacing the housing I think it is as good as it will get.

Thanks again for all your help.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post01 May 2009, 20:48

bucko :)
answers are closer than you think.
http://crazywatches.w.interia.pl/photo/ ... lock2.html
my website has been showing the details since 2005.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post01 May 2009, 21:18

Sorry Piotr I must of missed that section, those are excellent close up photographs great for reference :-D

Nice to see you back on the forum :-D

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Post14 Aug 2009, 04:53

I had a working bulova big block until I tried to change the battery, the little screw like module fell off the main circuit board, can I just solder it back on? What is it?

Thanks,

gus

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post14 Aug 2009, 10:17

should work after resoldering, however it's funny that it just fell off.
it's a trimmer that you screw left or right to increase or decrease power flow and thus time keeping.
if it's busted you can easily rob the trimmer from any other quartz watch or buy a new one for a cent or two.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Post14 Aug 2009, 15:16

Piotr,
Thanks for the quick reply, I will try to repair but it seems I do not have much luck with such things.
Thanks
gus

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post14 Aug 2009, 16:40

no problem Gus,
the trimmer is quite big and there are just two joints.
remove the yellow plastic and you'll get it done in no time

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Post14 Aug 2009, 17:30

Thanks Piotr for the helpful information. I would rather have the professionals do the repairs but I'm tried of getting laughed out of my local watch repair shop, I will try to make the repairs myself.
thanks

gus

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Post15 Aug 2009, 02:08

hello everyone.

i soldered the trimmer module but it falls off along with the solder. It seems like the solder is not sticking to the surface? is their something I'm missing?

Thanks

gus

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post15 Aug 2009, 10:55

bad soldering I guess. it has to flow and stick. unless the traces on the ceramic board have also been removed and you're trying to apply solder to the ceramic.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post15 Aug 2009, 14:26

Make sure the metal surfaces are clean (gentle scraping may help). Flux will also make things a lot easier. Clean up excess flux afterwards though.

Rgds.

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Post15 Aug 2009, 15:22

hello

i will try again with your suggestions in mind.

Thanks to all

gus

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Post15 Sep 2009, 19:32

just want to tell everyone what happened with my repair, i would also like to apologize for such a long time to post, i was in greece for 4 weeks with no internet.

long story short, needed to re solder the timmer on my bulova big block so i tried to with no luck, i had my friend who is a electrical engineer for Panasonic try with the same results, the timmer would not stay soldered. i went to Greece on august 17 so i brought it with me and gave it to my brother in law, he designs semiconductors for a living he got the trimmer to stay on (with some crazy rewiring) but now it will not work. the moral to this story, leave it to the professionals.

gus

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post15 Sep 2009, 19:39

If you have all the original module parts, I can do one of my reworks for $150, including the Hughes module( and batteries) I will start with. Actually a very nice way to go, better than factory, IMHO. :-)

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post16 Sep 2009, 00:38

are you back on track Ed?
Next

Return to Electronical