It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:09

Heuer Chronosplit - The Rawsar way

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Heuer Chronosplit - The Rawsar way

Post09 Jul 2013, 20:51

Hi All,

I have not posted for a very long time. My last expolits were rebuilding Pulsar and Reihl modules, now it's Heuer's turn.

I have been rather busy working on designing and bulding a replacement module for the ill fated Heuer cal. 102 LCD LCD Chronosplit.

I have always thought that LED watches are the coolest watch technology (thus the handle) but around a year ago I took a risk buying a Heuer LCD mainy because I love the retro shape and expanse of chunky buttons.

I have put a fair amount of effort into multilayer PCB design, programming and more crucially remanufacturing the LCD panels.

If Heuer Chronosplits are your thing, please have look at my website:

http://www.rawsar.com

Thanks for reading.

Thanks led-fan (or should that be lcd fan !)

PS I hope I have not broken any forum rules posting my page, apologies if I have.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Re: Heuer Chronosplit - The Rawsar way

Post10 Jul 2013, 03:11

hi there,
allow me to praise your excellent work and the efforts to bring old junk back to life.
just a few years back this was science-fiction or cost-wise inefficient.
are these garage made or are you sourcing these from a Chinese manufacturer based on your design?
I don't see anything wrong with Chinese craftmanship only curious how your project evolved from prototype to "mass-production."
are you in the position to reproduce any LCD panel and what are the minimum order quantities?
many other watches are waiting in queue ;)
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post10 Jul 2013, 08:56

Yes I agree led-fan, very impressive work.
You seem to have got the LCD panels spot-on. Obviously it's important to get the segment shape correct and the speckled reflecting mirror texture. To my untrained eye, you've achieved both.
I need an LCD Kentucky module, so there's 1 customer for you if you develop one of these.

In the meantime, I'll keep my eye out for a busted LCD Chronosplit ;-)
Well done.
Rgds.

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post10 Jul 2013, 09:06

Hi Azimuth,

Thank you for your reply

Both the PCB and LCD panels are sourced from China, both items are very high quality. Chinese manufacturing is very good and they are very professional IMHO. I struck up,a very good relationship with the Chinese particularly the LCD supplier so much so I almost ended up with a new wife :oops:

I spent around 5 months working with the supplier. to get the LCD panels made I had to sign up to a large quantity therefore I have a large stock of them now !. The LCD panels have been reverse engineered from the originals by myself and the Chinese and have the same size, specification and pinouts as the original Heuer units. I also have had the zebra strips manufactured, again the same as the original Heuer too

I build the actual modules under a stereo microscope assemble them, program and set the oscillators up with a very accurate frequency counter.

Cheers

l :-D

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post10 Jul 2013, 09:29

Hi Charger,

Many thanks for your comments.

Yes you are correct it is a speck of dust that sneaked in during filming.

BTW the H1 module will fit into the Kentucky, I know this as I have one :-D

Cheers

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post10 Jul 2013, 09:58

led-fan wrote:Hi Charger,

BTW the H1 module will fit into the Kentucky, I know this as I have one :-D

Cheers

You had me wondering for a while "How on earth would this Chronosplit module fit into a Kentucky" ?
I've got the single display LCD Kentucky. Calibre 105 I think. After a quick Google, I'm sure you are talking about the Chronsplit Kentucky (the one with 2 LCD panels).

Rgds.

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post10 Jul 2013, 10:12

Hi Charger,

Yes indeed we are talking about only the cal. 102 chronosplit based Kentucky.

Depending on the success of my little venture I may branch out to other models, but I want to focus on the 102 for now.

Cheers

:-D

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post10 Jul 2013, 10:59

Impressive work... you must have read my remake posting :-D http://www.newdwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=6247&p=40097&hilit=%27heuer#p40097
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post10 Jul 2013, 13:14

Hi Kasper,

Thanks for the praise.

Yes I think I did see your post along with many others, a fantastic selection of watches and yes the Heuer 70's digital watches are beautiful watches. I think it was the dual display of the Chronosplit and the chunky buttons that made me turn my attentions towards the Heuer Chronosplit, along with the challenge and my usual determination.

I am now the proud owner of 6 :-D

Cheers

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Jul 2013, 21:51

Heuer Chronosplits are still on my wanted list.
Maybe even a bit more in my reach knowing the craftmanship of some members here.

RESPECT
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

Return to Electronical