It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:17

Seiko 0624 - Reworked Crystal

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Seiko 0624 - Reworked Crystal

Post08 Sep 2013, 22:40

I won this Seiko 0624 in an eBay auction. It was listed as a "worn" crystal with "Many" scratches. Also, the Back Light Does NOT work! :-( I looked over the eBay auction pics, and thought I may have seen what looked to be a "Chip" in the lower-right hand corner in a couple of the pics, and when I received the watch, yes, there was actually 3 or four chips. :-(. Not to worry, not to worry, I liked the watch, anyway, and my process behind reworking this crystal was to do the bust job in disguising the chips and making the best smooth area of the surface parts. Here was my method:

The first step was to take the watch totally apart, and I fount this watch to be really dirty, so I cleaned it up internally. Secondly, I cleaned the crystal off with soapy water and Isoproval Alcohol.

Third begin sanding...
220, 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, and finally 3000.

Lastly,
Tin Oxide: applied thickly three times, and then buffed to a brilliant shimmer.

Although the crystal is nicked-up, it still has a nice shine to it, and really that is all I have to go on. I am totally disappointed that the back light is not working, and that is the biggest issue with this watch. Anyway, tell me what you people think of the crystal, should I keep it, or find a replacement? Please let me know.

- Patrick

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Seiko 0624 - Reworked Crystal

Post09 Sep 2013, 19:45

These crystals new are hard to find nowadays, but i think you did a very good job restoring the crystal, it's a great watch :-)
So why not keep it like this, and when a new crystal shows up on ebay (in rare occasions it still happens) you buy it and replace it.
Is the yellow filter present , i can't make out if it's there or not ?

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Sep 2013, 21:24

Someone recently won quite a few NOS crystals and a watch, maybe they are on this forum. See 'completed listings' on Ebay about £150.

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Sep 2013, 22:20

Seiko&Casio Lcd's wrote:These crystals new are hard to find nowadays, but i think you did a very good job restoring the crystal, it's a great watch :-)
So why not keep it like this, and when a new crystal shows up on ebay (in rare occasions it still happens) you buy it and replace it.
Is the yellow filter present , i can't make out if it's there or not ?

Thank you Seiko&Casio Lcd's,

Yes, the yellow filter is present for sure. I knew that restoring the crystal would be no problem, the only issue was the defects from the chips in the crystal. Yes, this crystal (Seiko 0624A) has a Hard mineral-Glass, and it is a patient long (4 hours sometimes) rebuffing it. I have recently tried re-polishing a M158-5009 (Pan-Am) crystal, but because that watch does NOT have a detachable crystal, it did not turn-out very good. I am more disappointed in the fact that the back light does not work more than anything really :cry: . Here is a photo of the crystal before re-polishing the crystal...

Thank you for your reply.

- Patrick

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Sep 2013, 22:24

Hi Adam,

Was it this eBay auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEIKO-0 ... 7675.l2557

I have looked at the completed listings, but found only the link above. Was this a UK listing by chance? PLease let me know.

- Patrick

Return to Electronical