It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:13

M158-5009 - Cannot Snap Closed

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

M158-5009 - Cannot Snap Closed

Post23 Dec 2013, 08:03

Hello everyone

Happy Christmas to all of you. Recently, I changed the case-back for a M158-5009, and when I have completely reassembled the watch, I am NOT able to snap the case closed! I put as much pressure as I can, but nothing seems to completely close it. I wondered it perhaps the Stainless Steel was too cold, and took it indoors, but that changed nothing. Has anyone here experienced this?

NOTE: The gasket being used in the bezel, is 25 yrs +, and is totally petrified now! would using a bran new one help in this case. Also, I have not tried closing the case-back without a gasket.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

- Patrick

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: M158-5009 - Cannot Snap Closed

Post23 Dec 2013, 08:16

Try differential thermal expansion. Watch in the refrigerator, caseback heated in boiling water. This shouldn't hurt either part, and with the watch getting smaller, and the back getting bigger, it might do the trick. If it does, the interesting part will be...opening it again.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Dec 2013, 20:34

Sometimes with a snap back the edges flay outward due to the incorrect tool being used. Do you have a case closing tool (same as the crystal tool but with different attachments.)

Learned this the hard way. Pressed a snap back Breitling Cosmonaut ca.1965 into place with an undersized ring. This distorted the back just slightly so that the snap part of the ring was shifted out wards.

Now the remedy, you have to get the outer ring curled back in. This means the case back on this model should be absolutely flat or slightly convex when it lies with the inside facing down. If it is slightly concave in this position it means the back is distorted.

So to tweak it towards convex, place the case back with the inside face down on something with a smaller diameter, quite smaller but stable enough to support the case back above a solid surface. Then press down with your hand on the assembly focusing on the edges. The intent is to curl the edge back by introducing the convex shape back into the case back.

I am not at a computer otherwise I would draw the idea I am trying to convey. The amount of pressure should not be so much as to dent the case back. Even a large marble would work. Just press down a little, try it out, press down some more and try again. Repeat gently and then applying more force until it finally works.

Geoff

P.s. Do this with the battery hatch off. Typically, when you press the case back into position with the hatch in place, say on a counter top, the battery hatch causes the case to deform to a concave and the snap curled edges distort out wards. It is not a problem of the edges, it is the problem of a concave case back versus a convex case back.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Dec 2013, 03:13

Thank you both for the replies Bruce and Geoff,

I do not believe the case back is bent in any way, but rather not in correct position. with the M158-5009, the pushers are attached to the case back, and line-up with the bezel. When I push in at all....the buttons are crushed against the bezel pusher slots, making the buttons useless, as they cannot move. Before I removed the case back to do work on the watch, I had the watch perfectly assembled (so I think I did).

Anyway,

below I set a illustration that describes the watch in parts, and although I have all the parts, possibly the gasket is too old as it is petrified? If this is the case, the case back is NOT getting any GIVE when being pushed in, and possibly this is the reason for it not wanting to close. I do have a matching gasket, so I will try this next.

Thank you all for all your help.

- Patrick

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Dec 2013, 03:57

Well that whole snap thing refers to snap backs :scratch: and that's what I get for using memory instead of checking out my watch cases. :eek:

Yes, try it without the cement hard gasket, you will hear the familiar snap. Line it up of course and it should snap, had that happen to me, the gasket needs give to form a compression fit.

:nikolaus: :nikolaus: :nikolaus:

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post24 Dec 2013, 04:15

The lightest possible thin film of watch oil or silicone lubricant on the metal surfaces might also help things along...warming up the case back might still not be a bad idea.

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Dec 2013, 17:45

The buttons don't push in when you try to fit the back ?
Sure sounds to me like you have fitted on of the rings (shown in the exploded view) wrong.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Dec 2013, 05:41

Hi,

Right now I do not have access to a exploded view picture showing the details of the case back and the bezel, I will upload pictures when I try and close the case back when the new gasket is inserted.

Thank again,

- Patrick

Return to Electronical