It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:12

Is this Pulsar P3 module hopeless?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Magic_Al

Is this Pulsar P3 module hopeless?

Post16 Oct 2015, 08:00

This is my first Pulsar that didn't already have a SASM in it. I gambled on "untested/no batteries" because the case and crystal are decent and the price left room in the budget for a SASM assuming the original module could be bad. Just got batteries and it looks similar to cte's. The right digit stays lit with "3" when powered. Holding the left button turns the display almost off (the dots are still very faintly lit). Holding the right button has no effect. Looks a little icky inside. Is a SASM the way to go? Should I be concerned about the crud inside the buttons and what caused that?

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Is this Pulsar P3 module hopeless?

Post16 Oct 2015, 10:27

The ceramic circuit board looks quite good. The backside of the module not so much. The middle bar of the "3" shown in the picture (g-Segment).. is that less bright? I just ask so that I have an idea if it´s worth to make a repair attempt.

Hanno.

Magic_Al

Re: Is this Pulsar P3 module hopeless?

Post17 Oct 2015, 03:17

Yes the middle segment is dimmer. Holding the left button dims all the segments almost completely but if the batteries have just been put in the left button might leave random segments of the 3 lighted at varying brightness. The display doesn't react to the right button nor to a magnet near the right switch when it's outside the case. Mechanically, the right button travels but has less travel than the left button, like the spring action could be better.

Return to Electronical