It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 06:40

Sanyo CR736 Equivalent for R100P

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

cte

Techie

Techie

Sanyo CR736 Equivalent for R100P

Post30 Aug 2016, 17:00

Hi all. :)

So the original CR736 battery for the Sanyo R100P is no longer made. I have tried the workaround (taping two SR716SW's on top of each other) but I can't get it to work. I have been trying for the past 2 hours lol. :bang: :ha: The lcd display flashes on and off (sometimes, depending on the battery position) with the batteries in there. I did find that moving one over slightly (see pic 1) it will work properly but it's a fine art getting the position just right. I have not been able to close the case and have it work. I think that the two contacts on the side (see pic 2) need to be in contact with the batteries at the same time. With the two batteries stacked perfectly on top of each other, it can only touch one of the contacts on the side. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can try? Maybe I could bridge the two contacts in some way? I have no idea lol.

I've stopped trying now as one of the batteries jumped down the side of the sofa. Never to be seen again. Good thing too as I'm going crazy here. :lol:

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Sanyo CR736 Equivalent for R100P

Post30 Aug 2016, 18:12

Im not sure but I have a similar Sanyo DW-1000 and i'm sure I taped the batteries side by side face down and used a small piece of metal to join the two contacts making a similar size battery. I may be be wrong though, age does wonderful things, simple things, like the self belief that you once came up with an act of greatness for a simple solution, that really, may be just a smoke screen for a total failure, for the many hours spent over a random objective that was obviously way out of the reach for my below average skillset.

:)
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

cte

Techie

Techie

Post30 Aug 2016, 21:21

Lolz, :lol: thanks Adam.

I have no technical knowledge. What would be the best metal to use (ideally found in a regular household)? I keep looking around the house but haven't found something suitable yet.

I was also thinking of bending the larger contact (on the right. 2nd pic) outward so that it might touch the battery easier. I'm not sure if I will damage things though. I can't tell if it's in contact, or fixed, to the edge of the pcb. :scratch: I don't think it is.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post31 Aug 2016, 09:25

I may be be wrong though, age does wonderful things, simple things, like the self belief that you once came up with an act of greatness for a simple solution, that really, may be just a smoke screen for a total failure, for the many hours spent over a random objective that was obviously way out of the reach for my below average skillset.

lol Adam...i must remember this incredible line :-D

just a small thin metal plate from a box will do..you can cut it with sissors and bent it with tweezers.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

cte

Techie

Techie

Post02 Sep 2016, 19:25

I used part of an old battery contact and tried to bridge acros the two contacts with it but I had no joy. :-( I also tried the two batteries side by side but no result there either. Is there any other way I could try? Cheers. :-D

Edit: I have been inspecting the watch further. I now don't think that the bigger contact (on the right 1st pic/post) is actually a battery contact. There are 4 of those bigger looking contacts evenly spaced around the edges of the PCB, so I'm guessing they are just to hold the pcb in place. I think the smaller prong in the middle is the only battery contact. The watch must be knackered I'm guessing. A dry joint somewhere. :-? I get excited when the watch works for a few seconds lol... Such a shame. :-|

cte

Techie

Techie

Post04 Sep 2016, 23:35

Before putting the broken watch to bed, I tried playing with the batteries for a last few mins. I managed to find a solution that worked (so far anyway). I didn't use tape (like is recommended in a separate post on the topic), just some blue tack to keep the batteries in position. Notice that the batteries are directly on top of each other, far left in the battery compartment, and NOT touching either of the two contacts I was trying to touch previously. Instead the batteries are touching another metal contact hidden on the upper left side (not really visible in the above pics). Whether the watch will still run when I need to change the batteries, who knows (the watch has reset once already when pressing a button). It might still be temperamentally knackered. Time to will tell :grin1: Hopefully this will help someone else looking for a solution.

cte

Techie

Techie

Post05 Sep 2016, 11:57

:-D

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Sep 2016, 12:16

Excellent example CTE and great shots too. It looks new. Glad you got some life!

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

cte

Techie

Techie

Post05 Sep 2016, 13:06

Thanks Adam. Im very pleased with it (especially after those hours of battery grief lol). It was a cheap eBay purchase and came with the original receipt from 1982 too. :-P I gave it a thorough clean + a new replacement strap. I'm wearing it today to test how it fares. Thanks again for the help. :mrgreen:

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Sep 2016, 22:37

What a lovely looking watch. On ther old dwf.cc site, i remember posting a pic of this ultra thin Sanyo and the original sanyo watch designer commenting on design , his brief within Sanyo, numbers produced etc. Lots of good info went tits up with the demise of .cc

Comparison with a pound coin

cte

Techie

Techie

Post06 Sep 2016, 00:38

That is stunning. :mega: Love the gold detail, against the black, around the face and bracelet in particular.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post06 Sep 2016, 09:38

very good pictures and a great watch...congrats for getting it together.

another cool one

:dwf:
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

cte

Techie

Techie

Post06 Sep 2016, 11:06

I keep an eye out for radio watches. I've never seen that one before or even heard of the brand "Commodoor"! Very cool! Very rare too I'm guessing. :mega:

Return to Electronical