It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 05:08

Pulsar P2. Can't set Mins

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

cte

Techie

Techie

Pulsar P2. Can't set Mins

Post15 Dec 2016, 20:04

I have a P2 that won't let me set the minutes. If I place the setting magnet on the rear "Min" indentation, the time shows as if the side button is pressed. I can set the hour fine and pressing the side button displays the time as it should.

Is there anything I can do to try and remedy it? There is a wire that looks a bit bent on the bottom of the front side of the module but I think that's the Hours. Are the magnetic switches for setting housed internally in the module? :scratch: Thank you! :mrgreen:

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Pulsar P2. Can't set Mins

Post15 Dec 2016, 21:49

Do the following:

Take the module out of the watch. Great, you did that already :grin1: Then put the back plate of the case on a table, down side on top (so that you can read the serial number).
Now place two batteries next to each other e.g. LR44/357 etc. on the back plate you have on the table. The left battery should be positive side up, the right one positive side down. Then place the module on the batteries and you have a fantastic work bench :lol:

Take tweezers and jumper "bypass" the reed contacts on the lower part of the module. If you can set the minutes and hours, your module is fine, the reed switch is not. Otherwise check for a cold solder joint on both contacts. If everything looks OK, you have a chip fault.

cte

Techie

Techie

Post15 Dec 2016, 22:23

Thank you Hanno! I will give this a go in the morning. :grin1:

Looking at your picture, I can see now where the switch is too. Cool. :-D

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post16 Dec 2016, 02:07

Another, though somewhat less likely possibility, is that your setting magnet is of a marginal field strength; powerful enough to trip the hours switch, but not the minutes. If any are available, try another magnet. Replacing setting switches on these modules is a tricky operation, as it involves soldering leads directly on the circuit board, and it is necessary to slightly lift the board to remove the switch. Fortunately, they very seldom fail, as they are used so infrequently.
Last edited by bruce wegmann on 16 Dec 2016, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

cte

Techie

Techie

Post16 Dec 2016, 11:31

I found the problem... The side push button was full of dirt and grime. I hadn't realised, but it wasn't retracting the full distance (it was practically on all the time). After I gave the watch a thorough clean, the button could move freely and was traveling at least twice the distance (away from the module). The setting magnet must have been attracting the push button every single time I tried to set the mins. Damn all those years of dirt! :nikolaus: It works perfectly now. :-D

Thank you both! :grin1: :dwf:

Return to Electronical