It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:42

Can't enter setting mode

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

nick0123

Techie

Techie

Can't enter setting mode

Post05 Jan 2022, 08:08

Hi all,

I've got an issue with an LED module - Criterion HK - which won't enter setting mode.

The only contacts seem to be at 1 and 3 o'clock. Whether the module is in the case or out, pressing 1 o'clock contact displays the time, and a second press shows the date (holding in time shows seconds, holding in date doesn't show day so doesn't seem to have this function). But trying to trigger setting mode with the 3 o'clock contact doesn't work. I've resoldered both contacts and continuity seems to be fine all the way to where the silicon blob starts.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Can't enter setting mode

Post10 Feb 2022, 15:46

At the risk of asking a dumb question - you have tried activating time and closing setting contact while holding the time contact closed?(like a National Semi) There are a few odd ones that have creaky patterns.
And does it seem to keep time? The crystal/osciilator may be way off spec and it just can't muster going into setting - another not uncommon symptom . .
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

nick0123

Techie

Techie

Re: Can't enter setting mode

Post26 Feb 2022, 09:00

Not a dumb question at all (it hadn't occurred to me to try that) - but now having tried it, no matter what combination of buttons pressed - still no joy with setting it.

It keeps great time too, mores the pity. I'll have to do a battery change at 11:59:59 on New Years Eve and it should be perfect (for a non leap year at least). I can only think it's a break in the trace under the blob, or a problem with the IC.

Thanks for the suggestion, though - it was definitely worth a crack!!

Return to Electronical