It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:56

Watch Button / Pusher Repair

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Watch Button / Pusher Repair

Post21 Mar 2013, 07:47

Ughhh,

I was trying to clean a Hamilton LED Alarm Case (steam) and one of the "pushers" came apart. It appears to be a friction fit style (press-fit?) I think the heat from the steam expanded the ring that was holding the pusher :bang:

The good news was it looked like I had the parts; the pusher with gasket, spring and small "washer" still in the case.

The bad news is I was attempting to re-install everything and the washer went flying off the bench never to be seen again.

I have another similar case / pusher, any idea on how to actually get these things in and out of cases? Any tricks that people have or do I have to invest in a special tool $$$$ ~:(

I have a number of cases with "sticky" pushers / buttons and I would like to remove the pushers and clean the cases, gaskets and re-install.

Any one have a spare press-fit washer for sale? :grin1: I purchased a bunch of "e" and "c" style pushers clamps to see if that works as well.

Thanks

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Watch Button / Pusher Repair

Post27 Mar 2013, 21:51

Oy vay - that is a drag.

THere are a couple of tools for getting buttons out - some vintage, some new ones. THe new ones aren't cheap($100-125).

My suggestion would be to leave your sticky buttons in the case. First try cleaning out with some 90% isopropyl and then lubricating with a super light oil (CRC's #2-26 "electrical grade is what I prefer, found at Home Depots in electrical). BUt if your button "hangs" despite otherwise smooth movement, it is more likely it has a ding on the button or the edge of the case where button goes in. Those can be troublesome - if you can see the spot, you can push a piece of rubber against the opposite side so it doesn't spin(good way to smoke the button and end up where you are) and you can polish or sand the ding. I'd suggest 1500 grade paper, sold wherever they sell auto body finishing products. Good luck - or just continue the thread. :-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post29 Mar 2013, 00:45

Thanks - I'll work on uploading a few pictures as well.

Someone else said use silicon grease or spray instead of oil for sticky buttons.

I also purchased "e" and "c" clamp rings to see if that will hold the button in and clear the module. I'll report back on any success.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post29 Mar 2013, 08:22

hi elias,
good luck with the repair and please share the outcome. many different solutions and ideas can give the same result.
would you also be so kind and post some pictures of the clamps you bought and provide the source?
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Return to Mechanical