It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:43

Taking apart a Seiko 0532-5009 case

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

albertofenini

Techie

Techie

Taking apart a Seiko 0532-5009 case

Post25 Apr 2013, 11:21

ciao a tutti,

I'd like to polish this case and its plastic crystal, but this time I would like to take it apart
and remove the internal frame.

Does anyone know how it can be done ?

I have not tried several things because I'm afraid to ruin the plastic frame that sits internally.

Thanks in advance, Alberto

00263.jpg

00265.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Taking apart a Seiko 0532-5009 case

Post27 Apr 2013, 16:54

albertofenini,

I want to say that there is a tool for extracting the plastic 'logo" inner faceplate that you are talking about, but I don't know for sure. If you pull the plastic plate, you are liable to break it.

The best advice to remove it may come from "Seiko Kid", as he knows a ton about the materials that make up the Seiko watch cases.

When I do a restore on a Seiko 0532A caliber, I just tape the inside of the case up, that way I do not get any 'cerium oxide" or metal pieces lodged in the nooks and crannies of the bezel between the logo and the case.

Anyway, since the watch case is "gold Plated" you will extremely limited as to what you can use to polish the case as Seiko's gold plating is complete crap! I would try a product that will buff the gold surface like a product we have here in the US called Semi-Chrome, you could also try cape Cod cloths which are designed to buff to a shine on gold plated metal. You could also use automobile "scratch remover" such as Blue Magic
Metal polish cream followed by Nu Finish Scratch Doctor. The practice of buffing gold plated metal to a shine is taking away some of the gold plated surface little by little, and it might just rub completely off in some areas, so be careful. I will caution you NOT to use sand paper or anything abrasive to remove deep scratches are you will be sorry in a hurry. The Seiko gold plating on these watch cases from the 1970's is pretty thin.

Anyway, I hope this helps. :-)

- Patrick

albertofenini

Techie

Techie

Re: Taking apart a Seiko 0532-5009 case

Post29 Apr 2013, 13:35

Thank you very much,

as a matter of fact is a stainless steel version,
and in order not to break it, I have taped the plastic glass and
polished that way, I'll post some pictures later today.

However, I still would like to know how to remove the inner part thanks anyone for help

Alberto

Return to Mechanical