It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:39

1500 post celebration..Seiko 0439 make-over.

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

Kasper

Guru

Guru

1500 post celebration..Seiko 0439 make-over.

Post27 Jan 2014, 00:13

To celebrate my own 1500 post here, i will do a special make-over.

A seiko 0439-5009 total make-over in 1 day :-D okay almost :-D

Got this from a local board.

yeah..looking really good :~#

First i have to get it all apart and start cooking some parts :-D

then i had to get rid of the bad glass...so i heated up the case and ....broke the glass in getting it out :-D

the backplate was in a bad shape so i had to stay calm now and try to clean it up first

i used a very very sharp scalpel to slowly get it all off...this moment you have to do everything in slowmotion cause you don't want to mess with the backplate :-D

okay...it's as clean as possible.

Now i have to work on the case..first check all every picture on internet to try to figure out the grid they used in 1977..i don't own such a watch yet.
After 30 minutes trying and sanding, it start to look good.

now i had to keep the corner sharp between the front and the side of the case..so i grind a very thin side on the case to keep the topcorner sharp...i hope you can see it.
This is done by hand on a diamond cutting/grinding machine.

By now i knew that the sides had to have a mirror polish

next is the bracelet...get it all apart.

First i sand and polish the back of the case and the bracelet almost to a mirror finish...yes..that was the hardest work

then a take a 600 grid to make the parts that need to be mat. the back of the case needs a mirror finish and the bracelet and the clasp are sanded with 600 grid...all by hand..pfffffff.
In the meanwhile, i also take care of the 3 buttons. I did these in a circular way so they would stand out.

the result is great after a day of hard work...i still have to give it new glass but i think i will put special anti mirror glass in it..just because i can M:)W:)M
Enjoy all the pictures and special thanks to Arch cause he made me do it reading one of his posts of 10 years ago :-D

Maybe i will change the polarizer after a while :-D and offcourse i have to figure out how the glass is done.
:dwf: :dwf: :dwf:
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

charger105

Guru

Guru

Re: 1500 post celebration..Seiko 0439 make-over.

Post27 Jan 2014, 13:02

Top work Kasper.
Congratulations on your 1500th post.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jan 2014, 16:18

A worthy way to celebrate reaching 1500 posts Kasper 8-) I am looking forward to the next 1500 :Prost:

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Jan 2014, 19:50

In a word: FLAWLESS!

Did you cut your own glass?

Geoff

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jan 2014, 23:55

Hi Geoff,

it still has no glass but that isn't the problem..i pretty sure i can cut the new glass. I just have to figure out how to replace the black rim that holds it in place.

thx all...this was a very pleasing work...i have to do it more often but time and my job and my daughter...... :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post28 Jan 2014, 01:00

Kasper wrote:To celebrate my own 1500 post here, i will do a special make-over.

A seiko 0439-5009 total make-over in 1 day :-D okay almost :-D

The result is great after a day of hard work...i still have to give it new glass but i think i will put special anti mirror glass in it..just because i can M:)W:)M
Enjoy all the pictures and special thanks to Arch cause he made me do it reading one of his posts of 10 years ago :-D

Maybe i will change the polarizer after a while :-D and offcourse i have to figure out how the glass is done.

Excellent result, and I feel honoured that my ancient 2005 post on pocket calc was the source of your inspiration !

I have at least ten more 0439 / 0624s awaiting similar treatment even now, but that could be another 10 days of free time needed !!
Luckily I've accumulated numerous spare glasses, although some are repro plastic ones from the USA.

For the record, here is the original summary photo that I think you're referring too :-

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Jan 2014, 07:00

Sweet watch kasper. I really want one :Prost:

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Jan 2014, 07:46

Repro plastic! At this point I would settle for that, at least until I figure out how to glue a new glass to my 0624. Do you have spares?

:nikolaus:

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post28 Jan 2014, 11:10

@Arch ...indeed..that was the picture :-D , i was so impressed...i had to see if i could make it as clean as you did..mission accomplished :-D
I'm surprised that the watch is so light in weight.

The glass sitting in the watch was 1.3 mm thick, but i still don't know how to fit the new glass. I know it's cut with a little half corner on top...so it's bigger at the underside. I still have some broken pieces left :-D
But how is it fitted? Does it just lay on a silicon rim on the backplate so it stays in place and does not touch the backplate?
It's not sticking out like others so the top of the glass has to be cut so it the same height as the top of the case.
Not an easy one to cut but if i succeed (and i will) i make a few reserves for me and other members if needed.

it's not the same as with the 0624.

- Kasper -

vespa78

Geek

Geek

Post29 Jan 2014, 22:31

fantastic Work Kasper, the watch looks just like new...

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Feb 2014, 14:40

Kasper wrote:@Arch ...indeed..that was the picture :-D , i was so impressed...i had to see if i could make it as clean as you did..mission accomplished :-D
I'm surprised that the watch is so light in weight.

The glass sitting in the watch was 1.3 mm thick, but i still don't know how to fit the new glass. I know it's cut with a little half corner on top...so it's bigger at the underside. I still have some broken pieces left :-D
But how is it fitted? Does it just lay on a silicon rim on the backplate so it stays in place and does not touch the backplate?
It's not sticking out like others so the top of the glass has to be cut so it the same height as the top of the case.
Not an easy one to cut but if i succeed (and i will) i make a few reserves for me and other members if needed.

it's not the same as with the 0624.

Kasper,
Getting in a crystal in a 0439 is a tricky one.
What i did, lay the glass in the case, then try to put the gasket around it, then put the bezel (called panel cover in the service manual) back in the case (goes in with some resistance so the crystal can't come out again)
Mind you , i had the original glass, which is kind of sloped on one side where it fits in the case, just like you probably said here " I know it's cut with a little half corner on top" , your new glass has to have that to, else it won't stay put in the case.

Look on page 8 in the service manual, it's not very clear as it's not an exploded view, but you might figure it out.
http://www.digitalwatchlibrary.com/imag ... /0439A.pdf

simone

Guru

Guru

Post10 Feb 2014, 14:38

Fantastic restoration!!!! :eek: :eek:

:dwf:
Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable
Some watches, simply are not made to last
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion
Someday perhaps, all watches will be made this way

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post15 Feb 2014, 00:03

Looking at all these superb restorations photo's has got me thinking that we should have a 'before and after' section on the forum. :?:

Return to Mechanical