It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:25

Help with a 1972 Girard-Perregaux Quartz with date mechanism

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

gallas27

Geek

Geek

Help with a 1972 Girard-Perregaux Quartz with date mechanism

Post17 Jan 2015, 18:38

Hi guys,

I want to ask you a question about a big problem affecting my 1972 Girard-Perregaux Quartz with 351 caliber.

Basically the date doesn't change completely, but only half, every day :bang:. I have to make it change completely by ticking the case with my nail....

So here's my question: do you think the date mechanism is interchangeable with the one of a 352 or 353 caliber?

I read this page:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... regaux_351

But I don't understand if it is interchangeable or not ....

Please, help me !

:-D

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Help with a 1972 Girard-Perregaux Quartz with date mecha

Post20 Jan 2015, 21:02

If I read it correctly, everything is interchangeable, EXCEPT the date mechanism.
But your mechanism basically work, you "only" have to tap the case ;) It might be worthwhile to investigate the problem. The date ring has to move without any resistance, and is apparently spring loaded.
Check the mechanism for any dirt or excessive oiling. I "repaired" the day-date mechanism of my Omega Speedsonic by carefully removing all the oil from the day and day ring. (someone really overdid it with the oil) I doubt it needed oil at all.
Check the "springloaded action" of the mechanism, maybe a little bit careful bending of a spring is enough?

And show lots of pictures of this amazing watch :)

gallas27

Geek

Geek

Post23 Jan 2015, 19:20

dutchsiberia wrote:If I read it correctly, everything is interchangeable, EXCEPT the date mechanism.
But your mechanism basically work, you "only" have to tap the case ;) It might be worthwhile to investigate the problem. The date ring has to move without any resistance, and is apparently spring loaded.
Check the mechanism for any dirt or excessive oiling. I "repaired" the day-date mechanism of my Omega Speedsonic by carefully removing all the oil from the day and day ring. (someone really overdid it with the oil) I doubt it needed oil at all.
Check the "springloaded action" of the mechanism, maybe a little bit careful bending of a spring is enough?

And show lots of pictures of this amazing watch :)

Yeah, sometimes it works properly sometimes it works "partly" but, at this point, it's better for me not to spend other money on this watch or, worse, buy a non-function GP on Ebay in order to restore mine.
Especially after what you said (find a 351 movement it's almost impossible and I don't have the guarantee that the date mechanism works...).

Thanks and for the pictures...just wait that a nice and sunny day let me to shoot some photos :-D!!

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jan 2015, 15:16

I believe it is the same setup.
Compare with the 352 and 353 on my website:
http://www.crazywatches.pl/girard-perre ... uartz-1972
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Return to Mechanical