It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:00

P2 bracelet screw threading. :/

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

cte

Techie

Techie

P2 bracelet screw threading. :/

Post14 May 2015, 20:28

I am having great trouble trying to remove the bracelet from one side of a P2. So much so that it killed/bent my screw driver lol. The screw head is starting to strip. Any tips on freeing it? Maybe adding some oil or something?

Thanks! :-D

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: P2 bracelet screw threading. :/

Post15 May 2015, 00:57

Paint-stripper hot-air gun at 400 degrees F. + penetrating oil (module removed, of course, and be careful not to put any pressure on the inside of the glass while the case is hot...it could pop right out!). It might take several thermal cycles to break the adhesive down to the point where the screw will turn. Failing that, you will have to drill out the screw head and re-thread the hole. Unless you have a drill press, and a steady hand, this is not a good DIY project. Threads are 0-80. It seems to have been common practice to put Loc-Tite or some similar adhesive on the screws, to keep them in place (almost permanently). I guess the fear was that they would somehow loosen over time and the bracelet would spontaneously detach from the case, and you would be scuba-diving at that moment, and your watch would end up at the bottom the Caribbean or Pacific Ocean...

cte

Techie

Techie

Post15 May 2015, 09:05

Lol Bruce. :lol: yes, I often worry about my watches popping loose when I'm scuba diving at my local swimming baths. I'm sure you can imagine me wearing my P2, speedo's and armbands, splashing about in the shallow end. :roll: ;-)

So it's glued in!? :eek: Well that sucks. I had the same problem with another P2 some months ago. It is handy to know this is what is happening. I will have a go at following your instructions. :grin1: As always, thank you! :-D

cte

Techie

Techie

Post16 May 2015, 22:30

I got a new set of screwdrivers today and gave your advice a go. Worked a treat!! Thanks so much man. :mrgreen:

Return to Mechanical