It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:55

Case press

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Case press

Post04 Nov 2015, 23:07

Hi all :Hi:
I have finally decided it's time to invest in a case press.
As after getting my Josh Chadwick working again and the back being a little
harder to get back on than I remember, and I don't want to risk damaging the crystal.
Does anyone have any hints on which type is best and how much to/not to pay.
Also what type of dies (material) are best.
I don't think I need to pay a fortune as not many of my snap on backs are that precious.
All the same I would like it to work properly without breaking.
Any help would be very welcome.
Many thanks Pete.
:dwf:
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Case press

Post05 Nov 2015, 21:34

this is my case press. the golden rule is...there is something wrong with a case backplate when you can not close it with your fingers :-D

i had to take it out to get in Cadense chadwick backplate back on...damn chinese :grin1:

one vintage casepress, one vintage metal plate of PONTIAC to assist and one dual purpose wooden press (one of the good belgian trappist beer) tool :-D perfect combination for 99% of cases.

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post05 Nov 2015, 22:19

M:)W:)M

Seriously? You needed it to get the case back back on the watch you opened
to find out what cell for me?
Priceless. Although it doesn't help me choose one really.
As one like yours would be no good for me!
I drink to much beer as it is. :grin1:
:Prost:
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post06 Nov 2015, 22:16

I purchased a cheap one from eBay, one of those that has various sized plastic dies similar to item number 400810952254. I would not recommend one of these as I do not find it an easy tool to use, the case back has obviously got to be in the correct position in order for it to snap into position but the screwing action tends to cause the case back to move out of position. You also have to be careful when using them as it is very easy to over do it apply too much pressure and break the crystal. Some case backs are tight fitting but I would agree with Kasper that in a lot of cases if you can't press it on by hand then there is something wrong with the case back to start with.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post06 Nov 2015, 23:16

bucko170 wrote:I purchased a cheap one from eBay, one of those that has various sized plastic dies similar to item number 400810952254. I would not recommend one of these as I do not find it an easy tool to use, the case back has obviously got to be in the correct position in order for it to snap into position but the screwing action tends to cause the case back to move out of position. You also have to be careful when using them as it is very easy to over do it apply too much pressure and break the crystal. Some case backs are tight fitting but I would agree with Kasper that in a lot of cases if you can't press it on by hand then there is something wrong with the case back to start with.

Oh I thought the idea of the cup shaped dies was to protect the crystal by applying the pressure to the case area around the crystal. :scratch:

Up until now I have had very little problem, even the Solsuno's which can be a bit tough, go back on using the slap on the back technique,
trapped between several layers of clean copying paper, topped with a piece of wood.

I guess I'll keep persevering.
Thanks Mick for your input always welcome. :Prost:
P-air

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post06 Nov 2015, 23:25

jagmad wrote:......Oh I thought the idea of the cup shaped dies was to protect the crystal by applying the pressure to the case area around the crystal. :scratch:

It is but getting the perfect fit is not always possible as it depends on the shape of the case and how far the crystal protrudes from the case - the biggest flaw is that the dies are only designed to be used with round crystals and obviously LED's come in all shapes and sizes.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post06 Nov 2015, 23:37

I've got one like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-case-cr ... 59MHezJhfg been using it for years and haven't damaged a watch yet, I do go very slow and careful with it though as the watch can slide around until you put enough pressure on to hold it still. They're just cheap Chinese made so can probably be got for less than the one linked above.

Return to Mechanical