It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:23

Beginners Basics - Cleaning a watch

Discuss problems, tricks and hints on case restoration, tools,watch buttons and tools.
  • Author

Rixi

Beginners Basics - Cleaning a watch

Post02 Feb 2016, 12:22

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum and already introduced myself briefly in the Members section.

Yesterday one of my first acqusitions, a Seiko C515, arrived and even it was sold "as is" it came to life after I put a new battery :mega:
But I did not enjoy it too long and disassambled it, because it obviously needs a bath.

I did get off the module, bracelet and keypad and I think also the buttons shouldn't be too tricky to do (I will try later), but I'm struggling with the crystal and it's sealing/plastic (with the Seiko brand name and weekdays printed on it). So I'm wondering:

I already searched the forum, but didn't find any info about basic cleaning (maybe I didn't search properly?). I would appreciate a general beginners guide on what are the standard first treatments you guys give a dirty watch.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Johannes

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Beginners Basics - Cleaning a watch

Post06 Feb 2016, 13:00

Welcome to the board.

i always dismantle everything before cleaning it up. You took not an easy watch to take your first steps in restoration.

Here are some possible solutions :-D for cleaning
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?keywords=vinegar

These ultrasone cleaners are good enough for your purpose...yes you need it...you can use it for your wifes jewelry aswell :grin1:

i use an old toothbrush for cleaning with basic soap or dreft.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Rixi

Post08 Feb 2016, 02:08

Hi Kaspar,

thanks for your reply!
The topics about cleanig with vinegar are quite interesting.

Do you (or anyone else) can advise, how to get the crystal out of the case (and later back into the case again)?
Just push it out with my fingers and back in with a case back press? Will I need any glue?

Why is the C515 not the simplest model? I found the disassemply was easy to do -- beside from the crystal ;)

Kind regards,
Johannes

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post08 Feb 2016, 11:00

i make a shape (of crystal) from carbon plate, Then i head up the case and press it out from the inside with the carbon plate so i have maximal equal pressure. It doesn't work all the time.

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Return to Mechanical