It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:56

Witschi 70's quartz tester

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Witschi 70's quartz tester

Post16 Jul 2014, 20:17

I got this tester:
http://www.facele.eu/Qtest3000.htm

Just what I need to test all the quartz watches I mess around with :)

Testing a quartz watch: (also works with analogue models)

The 786 kHz setting is probably for modules with a different quartz crystal like the hughes modules, my wittnauer gives a reading with it.

Testing a tuning fork watch! (I already knew it's slow)

Neat seventies thing and usable :)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Witschi 70's quartz tester

Post17 Jul 2014, 09:44

Excellent 8-) - I wouldn't mind one of those myself, was it expensive?

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jul 2014, 12:24

Cool bit of kit. Any chance of a close up of your Speedsonic? One of my favourite 70's chronographs 8-)

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Jul 2014, 17:55

It was 190 euros but I really wanted it and the newer examples I found on ebay were 600 euro and more.

And some photos of my speedsonic :)

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jul 2014, 00:40

That's beautiful. I had one years ago with tritium markers as opposed to the raised baton style ones on yours. Wish I still had it - they are so damn nice :-)

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post25 Jul 2014, 23:44

Yes I'm very happy with this one! I bought it as "broken for parts" knowing the "engine" is for 99% a commonly found esa 9162/4 module. One gear is different. The chronograph module is very robust.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post26 Jul 2014, 22:16

Going back to the original topic...
A quartz monitor is a "must-have" accessory, if you have a lot of digitals, or just want to keep the ones you use keeping perfect time. With one of these, you can adjust a watch to a second-a-month in less than minute, and bypass days or even weeks of hit-and-miss guesswork. I have a Pulsar Analyzer, of course (mostly as a Pulsar-related collectible, but still working!), and I've also got four of the Zantech Monitors (three Model 1000s and one 1100). I picked these up on eBay years ago (a couple for less than $50 each), and they have saved me no end of effort getting unadjusted, 35+ year-old LEDs back to factory spec timekeeping. They still show up on eBay once in a while, and are a good investment (though today's prices have escalated to the $150-200 range). The Model 800 Module Analyzer is also worth having, if you do a lot of troubleshooting on both LED and LCD movements.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Aug 2014, 22:39

Hi Bruce, there's not much Zantech equipment to be found at the moment unfortunately. (one at ebay now) I had the chance to buy a very nice Citizen watch tester but due to a lack of funds I had to let it pass at the time :(

The Witschi seems to work fine, although it seems to have a little deviation in the measuring, readout is slightly to high(fast). It needs to be calibrated somehow. But it's good enough for the quick adjustment of my projects :)

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post09 Aug 2014, 00:33

You need to find out what the nominal frequency of the internal time base is. These things usually have a temperature-stabilized quartz oscillator, and the number should be marked on it somewhere. Then, you need to find someone with a very-high-resolution frequency counter (gigahertz or better), and see how far off it is. Then, it's a matter of simple adjustment. The Zantech monitors use a 9.999996MHz time base; doubtless every make has its' own special frequency. But, once dialed in, getting your digitals back to spot-on timekeeping becomes nearly effortless. There may not be much on eBay right now, but, rest assured, more WILL show up. If you'll pardon the pun, it's just a matter of time :grin1:

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions