It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:57

Can anyone identify these watches ?

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Can anyone identify these watches ?

Post13 Jan 2006, 19:51

Friday afternoon test :-

Below is a pic showing bits of 4 different watches. Clues :-

1- is out of this world, from a famous digital maker but not really digital.
2- 41 reasons makes this the most OTT of its type
3- shows display on, which is normally hidden from view
4- ahead of its time

First person to get all 4 right gets fame, glory and a toffee. Have fun :)

LiquidLed

Techie

Techie

Re: Can anyone identify these watches ?

Post15 Jan 2006, 12:05

Sunday Morning Reply.... does that mean i'm in detention?

I know No.1 as I have been looking at this - is this yours Diginut?

Im sure it's a Seiko Earth watch
http://www.thinktheearth.net/watch/watch/index.html

Seems to me too difficult to read the time, looks like a nightmare to understand.

If Im right post the full picture, see what DWF thinks.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post15 Jan 2006, 15:57

Well done - you got the first one ! Its an Seiko Earth Watch. Intricately made back in 2000 to make people think about preserving our blue planet.

The other three are strictly digital though :)

Heres some pics. Whats interesting is that you can tell the time anywhere in the world just by looking at the markers around the edge.

The Globe actually rotates every 24hrs, and the hour is read by either the small pointer fixed on the edge or any other time zone by looking at your country and down to the 24 hr marks. The minutes are shown by the yellow dot as it orbits the globe. Very unusual and fascinating watch !

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post15 Jan 2006, 16:31

The Earth Watch is a nice idea. A bit thick to actually wear it on the wrist perhaps. I like the fact that it also exists in a version for the southern hemisphere...

#2 is the 41-button round Seiko calculator watch, the leftmost in the middle row on this photo of your impressive calculator collection.

#4 Early Seiko LCD. 05LCA? Cal 0524? The 5th watch on this page. Is it even a part of exactly this photo (just a little rotated)? Gorgeouswatch.

#3 Seems familiar, but I can't remember. The thin horizontal lines look a bit like the heating filaments of a vacuum flourescent display, but I don't think there was ever a wristwatch with VFD. I just guess it's also a Seiko :wink:. A Spoon? More hints?

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post15 Jan 2006, 16:55

Excellent !

1 - is indeed a neat idea. When I finally found one the collector asked me if I wanted the northern or southern hemisphere and i was blown away as I just hadnt thought about that. Trouble is theres not much on the globe down under, except the antartic and southerly bits of Africa and NZ etc :)

2 - correct, although its a citizen make.

4 - Yup. 05LCA. If anyone knows where I can find one, ppplllleeezzzeee let me know. I am aware they are expensive ... I'll even pay a small finders fee leading to a successful purchase. Can anyone help ??? (you probably have to speak japanese though)

3 - Actually a EL back lit LCD but watch is type of anadigi style, but not a Seiko ... its identity is hidden in the clues. The lines form part of the way the time reveals. Neat watch when you see it animated.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post15 Jan 2006, 20:01

Diginut wrote:Excellent !
2 - correct, although its a citizen make.
Citizen, sure. Must have bee a little "overseikoed" :oops:
Diginut wrote:4 - Yup. 05LCA. If anyone knows where I can find one, ppplllleeezzzeee let me know. I am aware they are expensive ... I'll even pay a small finders fee leading to a successful purchase. Can anyone help ??? (you probably have to speak japanese though)
I thought that if anyone in the western hemisphere had one, then it'd be you :wink:
Diginut wrote:3 - Actually a EL back lit LCD but watch is type of anadigi style, but not a Seiko ... its identity is hidden in the clues. The lines form part of the way the time reveals. Neat watch when you see it animated.
So guess I the display "opens" like a roller blind or a shutter? Still no idea, though.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post18 Jan 2006, 10:46

Hmm, seems like no.3 is proving to be tricky. If I tell you its a Citizen, you should be able to home in on it in no time. I'll post an interesting sequence of pics showing this unusual watch in action, once someones figured out what its called !

Amyone else out there in 70s watchland got any puzzle pics they'd like to post ?

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions