It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:58

How to take a photo

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

How to take a photo

Post20 Nov 2006, 23:17

Can't think of a better forum for this topic. As you all know a watch goes for a better price if it has decent photos, obvious really. There are several members who take wonderful photos of their watchs and I was wondering if they had any tips for the rest of us. I'm familiar with photography as I took photos when I made my own furniture and produced my own catalogues but as I've junked my lamps, SLR camera, tripod, zooms and all the other gubbins that I used and replaced it with this...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_rev ... ios5i.html

It's been nothing but frustration trying to take even a half decent photo of something as small as a watch. Is it even possible to take a photo with an "ordinary" digicam or is an SLR the only option? Or else should I use a mobile phone camera and hope little1up will eventually put me out of my misery .... oh hell my phone doesn't even have a camera it's that old.
Opinions happy snappers..........

Higgie

Site Sponsor

Site Sponsor

Re: How to take a photo

Post21 Nov 2006, 00:28

JUst taken 10 minutes ago :-)
Click the pictures to see the originals ( resised )

Sony ericsson K800i mobile phone 3MP camera

JVC GZ-MC500 5MP camera

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Nov 2006, 22:40

Higgie that is two excellent pictures! :shock: Was it as simple as point and click or did you use a macro/close up setting?

Higgie

Site Sponsor

Site Sponsor

Post22 Nov 2006, 00:09

The JVC has auto-macro, the K800i needs to be switched to macro by hand.
I took the pictures on my kitchen-sink under a fluorecent light. Normally i take them outside on a cloudy day.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post22 Nov 2006, 02:03

Lots of helpful information on this excellent forum - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

The people are friendly and always willing to help, check out the macro section for close-up stuff.

I use a Canon 350D DSLR a 24-135mm lens with a macro setting for close work. My kit is at the starter end of DSLR cameras its nothing special but its more flexible than point and shoot compacts.

These were taken hand held in manual mode with flash...

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post22 Nov 2006, 15:24

I use a set up like this, if you like what you see shop around they can be bought for less ;)

some results...

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post22 Nov 2006, 15:34

A very usefull site dedicated to watch photography and how to build your own studio for 1$:
http://chronomania.free.fr/Articles/pratique/caisson-pandani/caisson-pandani.html
It's in french but the pictures tell you all
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post22 Nov 2006, 15:40

A tip... fix a piece of card to the front of your camera to stop reflections of fingers etc on shiney watches, I used a piece of black card about 12" x 10" with a hole cut in the centre, I cut the hole the same size as the lens then used the screw cap on the end of the lens to hold it in place, I'd take a photo to show you but I only have the one camera so it would be a bit tricky :D

P.S. I use a Panasonic FZ20, on auto with no tripod.

P.P.S. If you want to see more photo examples check my auctions on ebay. Shameless plug :lol:

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Nov 2006, 23:34

Thankyou everybody, I think this info is a great starting point. I'm sure my camera has a macro setting but I bought it from Pixmania and all the instructions are in French.
I shall experiment and let you know.

A German joke

What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages - Trilingual, What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages - Bilingual, What do you call someone who speaks 1 language - British :D

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post04 Dec 2006, 20:16

I do something like richard_uk to stop my fingers and camera from showing up in reflections - I drape a pieace of dark clothe from one side to the other of my photography tent(simular to the ez_cube products)and have a hole punched in it so the screw for the tripod can go right thru it. Sometimes a little reflectio is nice, like on gold items. Still wish I could get the photography of certain mineral glass screens better - like those Novus hex shaped items...seems like the light just streams in thru the glass no matter what!! :x

Tip: take your camera and an item(like your watch stand) that photographes true black on your camera to the store when buying backdrop cloth and take shots of your black item against the cloth...you will be amazed how many "black velvets" photograph blue or charcoal.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Feb 2007, 17:50

Canon Ixus 500. No flash.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post05 Feb 2007, 19:33

Panasonic FZ-20, light tent with daylight bulbs...

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post05 Feb 2007, 20:22

beautiful watch, and nice photos too :)

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions