It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:26

Oil filling F-91W

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Oil filling F-91W

Post14 Feb 2011, 18:20

The Making Of; the Superlative Oil filled Casio F-91W DeepSea

The humble yet iconic Casio F-91W is a pretty good watch and costing only some 12 euros it is just about impossible to beat its value for money. Small wonder it is the world´s most worn wristwatch by far.
It does have two weaker points:

* the strap, which is prone to break over tome
* the water resistance, which is only shower proof

The first issue is easily enough solved using G-shock strap adaptors so it can be used on a ´Nato´ type woven strap.This way mounted on the strap the head does not get stressed when there is a pull on the strap and the strap itself is unbreakable.

The water resistance is a more challenging issue. There is however a solution which is as effective as simple to apply; fill the head with liquid to start with.
Since a liquid cannot be compressed simply filling the watch with liquid without any bubbles would fill it at zero pressure meaning the liquid will stay in as the seals can take thát.
Since a liquid cannot be compressed simply filling the watch with liquid would make the watch resistant to any further liquid ingress to whatever depth since it already ís 100% full.

Ok. So what liquid to use?
Oil is the simplest since it does not conduct low voltage currents and is water repellant.
Vegetable oil would be compatible with rubber and plastics.
Since the F-91W is thé campo watch worn by just about áll workers in the olive oil industry and extra virgin olive oil is the superlative vegetable oil, the choice was made; extra virgin olive oil.

A first test revealed that the quartz module would submersed in oil indeed keep funcioning as Casio intended.
It also proved to be a bit of a pain to fill it for 100%;.
The idea however proved sound as lowering into a two metres deep tank gave no problems.

Time to do it properly:

Step 1. prepare everything needed

Step 2. once prepared with a bocadillo seranito and a nice glass of Tempranillo, fill the bowl and remove the case back

Step 3. lower the head into the oil, with one side down and sssssslooooooowly inmersing it to give all the air time to rise and exit

Step 4. lower the case back, inner side up and while inmersed turn it round and put it on the back of the head, taking care not to trap any air

Step 5. put the screws back while retaining the oil

Step 6. check

Step 7. clean the watch and enjoy the Superlative oil filled F-91W

Using this olive oil has the additional advantage that the greenish colour cléarly shows that the watch is filled with it.

I forgot to mention:
Because there is now no air inside, there is no refraction on the inside of the ´crystal´, so the legibility under the slightest angle has been noticeably improved. It is like the inside has the ultimate AR coating.

M:)W:)M

Petrus
´Design oder nicht sein´

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Oil filling F-91W

Post14 Feb 2011, 19:29

Very interesting idea.

But OLIVE OIL, are you serious? Any idea what will happen with this oil within a few months? At wrist temperature?
And I know for sure what happens with olive oil below 10°C: you won't be able to read the LCD any more :x

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post14 Feb 2011, 20:02

Interesting project there Huertecilla..... filling a watch with Olive Oil is a
new one to me. What role does the sandwich play? :lol:

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Oil filling F-91W

Post14 Feb 2011, 20:04

rewolf wrote:Very interesting idea.

But OLIVE OIL, are you serious? Any idea what will happen with this oil within a few months? At wrist temperature?
And I know for sure what happens with olive oil below 10°C: you won't be able to read the LCD any more :x

Yes. Yes. Yes. Me too, I have even frozen it at -22 C.

Extra virgin olive oil is the least agressive, no acid oil and since it is witout air it will not oxidise.

On the wrist it will not freeze and the paraffin starts to flock near zero. It will not get milky untill below zero. Ar -5 the thing is almost illegible.
Thawing out after -22 ...... totally as new 8-)

It is already in there since march or so and all is well.
The buttons are operable and I have tested the thing by lowering it into a 25 metre deep well :-D
The flexiblity of the case/case back allows for volume change due to temperature.
It simply wórks!

As I write it was on purpose because of the greenish hue. I have done other watches with DOT 5 silicon fluid.
Sofar no problem. The only thing is that the case/case back needs to able to allow for some volume change. The volume change is minute but real.
The watches best suited are the screwed down sheet metal case back designs like the F-91W and the Traser P5900.

The F-91W watches are the subjects of an onogoing aplied science project with my 8 (now 9) y.o. son.
We drop it from up to 20 metres, drive a truck over it, boil, freeze, zap them with magnetism etc. But first we calculate the forces and volume changes involved to be able to predict what happens.
We use cheap chinese fakes as comparison.
The results are impressive and discriminating. The Casio modules are more rugged than - costly.
HUGE fun and ditto educational. The bonus is a gurantuud real wis-kid ;-)
´Design oder nicht sein´

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Feb 2011, 20:14

LEDluvr wrote:Interesting project there Huertecilla..... filling a watch with Olive Oil is a
new one to me. What role does the sandwich play? :lol:

Just supporting the quality of living.
That is a bocadillo serranito; home baked bread, fried pepper (from the veggie plot), baked bacon (from the home bred iberico pork) and grilled chicken (from the yard) fillet.
The function is to enjoy lunch and do the watch with the oil we also used to fry the pepper in 8-)
The oil comes from the trees we have in our view. We buy a few cans every year when the harvest starts so we always have first pressing Extra to the power of Extra virgin :lol:

The F-91W is thé omni present watch here. Our village and surrounding has some 5000 inhabitants. The local basar has sold some 3000 over the past 10 years.
EVERYBODY has or has had one. Most work in the olives so the F-91W is thé olive industry watch.
Putting one on a Maratec ´nato´ strap is a huge innovation.
Filling it with the local olive oil is even better M:)W:)M
´Design oder nicht sein´

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Feb 2011, 20:20

Here is one we froze at -24

The function of the whiskey is again only supporting the quality of living. It doubled to thaw it out a bit while adding júst enough water to the scottish.
When warmed up some my son did the rest:

;-)
´Design oder nicht sein´

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post14 Feb 2011, 21:50

LOL! Well, I can't argue about supporting the quality of living. :-D
And with all that food and meat 'home grown'- it must be very fresh and tasty. Too bad the F-91W does not grow in trees, it sounds like you village is very enamored of them. But they are very affordable anyway, unlike that new Seiko in your other post. I'll wait for the prices to come down before I even look at one in person. Better to avoid rather than resist the temptation at this point.
;-)

smokefrog

Geek

Geek

Post15 Feb 2011, 01:13

This is s funny thread, olive oil and Lcd watches, both are a hobbies of mine, i have a good collection of vintage casio G shocks and my father has a olive orchard in Greece, FYI Greek olive oil is the BEST!

Later

Gus

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Feb 2011, 10:59

LEDluvr wrote:I'll wait for the prices to come down before I even look at one in person.

The prices for e-ink áre down. Have never been up. See Phosfor.

The thing is that the Phosfor also illustrates that the prices are lower because it is a lower end product.

It is the ´cheap digital´-complex associated with solid state quartzes.

The price for the SDGA00x will go úp if anything.
Maybe Seiko will add a lower or higher placed model with a matching price.
´Design oder nicht sein´

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Feb 2011, 11:52

LEDluvr wrote:LOL! Well, I can't argue about supporting the quality of living. :-D
And with all that food and meat 'home grown'- it must be very fresh and tasty.

Just last week we finished with the matanza of the family pig;
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-6SGKNCZC.jpg

Here some shots. I have not live linked them because many modern consumers have come to believe that meat is grown on white styro trays.

...even seen ´porc´ this rich?
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-TX7M7WW7.jpg
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-WWFZHZ6V.jpg

meatloaf
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-AEOFS33G.jpg
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-NYD3FMIN.jpg
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-AVTX4A6F.jpg

part of the sausage variation
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-OM3OHBQN.jpg

processing the larder; 47 litres in jars
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-OGLIAN7Y-1.jpg
´Design oder nicht sein´

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post15 Feb 2011, 14:57

I'm getting dizzy with all these different threads dealing with the Seiko EPD, dead animals, etc. ;-)

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Feb 2011, 18:29

rewolf wrote:I'm getting dizzy with all these different threads dealing with the Seiko EPD, dead animals, etc. ;-)

WEll, it is quite to the point.
A pig is a pig is a pig you could say.
Yet a bio-industry hormone-hotrodded 10 month pinky is not the same as a two year old free range slow life acorn fed ibérico.
It is all porc yet the quality is different.
The iberico is very much bétter, more healthy and tastier.
Because the high end meat is relatively scarce it is relatively even more expensive.
Added o this is the law of deminishing returns.
To kill/slaughter in the stress free way that gets the most out of the quality, the hours are WAY out of proportion, making the meat even more more expensive.

Ditto watches, hence the relatively high price of a 9Fxx Grand Seiko/ Citizen Chronomaster in comparison to the in principle same analogue quartz Swatch.
There is no reason they should be lower in price. There arechaeper models for that. Yes, probably more meat for the money. Just liek porc but boy can you taste that. It just depends on what you how much appreciate.
´Design oder nicht sein´

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post15 Feb 2011, 19:50

If I eat pork at all, I take care it is not "mass-produced", but something like a Swabian-Hall Swine. Same for beef and poultry. Luckily I live in a region where it's quite easy to get good-quality meat :O`~

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions