It is currently 11 May 2024, 21:21

TI 550 Series

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

TI 550 Series

Post22 Jan 2012, 07:16

Couldn't find much info on this model...
8-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: TI 550 Series

Post23 Jan 2012, 13:10

Nice photo's :-D

I found some photo's of a different 550 model but nothing on the one shown in your photo, Poitr has one on his site http://www.crazywatches.pl/lcd,1 (bottom row) and the same model for sale on a Japanese site http://www.sekaimon.com/i170704090010_ptaucfan

I did stumble across an original TV ad for TI on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixj5125v4j8

At least you know the date it was produced ;-)

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jan 2012, 04:26

Thanks for sharing the links!

I had seen that one pictured on Poitr's site, but imagined it bigger...I guess its the same size as mine since its the same series.
Thanks about the pics!, I will add them to the DWL ;-)

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jan 2012, 22:13

Bersus wrote:

I had seen that one pictured on Poitr's site, but imagined it bigger...I guess its the same size as mine since its the same series.

Yes, that seems to be the rule for Texas Instruments watches in general. They were very affordable compared to other LED and LCD wathces of the time and the size was 'midsized' for lack of a better work. I am guessing that it was intentional to make them more appealing to the youth - both price-wise and size-wise. I remember it worked for my wrists 'back in the day'.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jan 2012, 05:38

LEDluvr wrote:
Yes, that seems to be the rule for Texas Instruments watches in general. They were very affordable compared to other LED and LCD wathces of the time and the size was 'midsized' for lack of a better work. I am guessing that it was intentional to make them more appealing to the youth - both price-wise and size-wise. I remember it worked for my wrists 'back in the day'.

Mid-size/Youth for sure...It was my very first LED watch at age 5 ...A TI 500 series in brown :mrgreen:
Todays Antique Mall find:
LED/LCD Comparison:

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Jan 2012, 19:37

I have the watchband of the left Texas Instuments watch on one of my Amida Digitrends.
Looks great!!!
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jan 2012, 19:49

Bernus wrote:

Mid-size/Youth for sure...It was my very first LED watch at age 5 ...A TI 500 series in brown

My first LED was the Star Wars TI model - the one with 'the good guys' on it : RD and C3PO.

VERY groovy find Bernus! Is it working??
That brings something to mind that really bugs me- here in Los Angeles you can find those same type of watrch 'grab bags' in the antique malls but the prices are RIDICULOUS - the same thing would be $60 or $80 here, no lie. All full of no-name junk and maybe one worth buying but not at that price.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Feb 2012, 19:48

LEDluvr wrote:
My first LED was the Star Wars TI model - the one with 'the good guys' on it : RD and C3PO.

That brings something to mind that really bugs me- here in Los Angeles you can find those same type of watrch 'grab bags' in the antique malls but the prices are RIDICULOUS - the same thing would be $60 or $80 here, no lie. All full of no-name junk and maybe one worth buying but not at that price.

You can't go wrong with Star Wars, and LED watches...a great combo!
Yea...It works, but have been too lazy to get the proper batteries :oops: Only tested it with 357s...hard to picture, and hold the back on while pushing a button ;-)
That sucks there's no real treasures to be found at your antique malls, Maybe try auctionzip.com, I find the best stuff at consignment, & estate auctions!
Best regards!

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Feb 2012, 20:46

LEDluvr wrote:Bernus wrote:

Mid-size/Youth for sure...It was my very first LED watch at age 5 ...A TI 500 series in brown

$60.00 to $80.00. Wow, that is a bit high. Like you Benrus, I grew up in the 70's and when Star Wars came out, is was like nothing the world had ever seen. Some kid I knew in the school had a TI LED, and was totally mystified by it. There is nothing better than cool technology with a Star Wars theme!

I am also in CA, and see a mixed bag of retro stuff from the 70's, 80's. A lot of people collect retro Gameboys, Neo-Geo, Cameras, and watches here in the bay area.

- Patrick

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post03 Feb 2012, 00:04

Bernus and retrowrist, I see we're all on the same page regarding Star Wars adn LED watches! Those LED watches were our 'connection' the amazing movies we saw back then. And Battlestar Galactica did better than Star Wars as far as LED's went. Thye were proudly displayed on their flight control intruments and LED wathces were worn by the all the main 'good guy' characters. I still need to get one of those Hughes model LED calculator watches.... :o

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Feb 2012, 02:45

TI550 Stop-Watch:

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post16 Feb 2012, 21:19

Nice catch there Bernus. When does it hail from - early 80's?

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Feb 2012, 03:01

LEDluvr wrote:Nice catch there Bernus. When does it hail from - early 80's?

Thanks!
Still stuggling with the date...The first 550 from above had a "79" on the inside-back, so I thought it was made in '79
This new one has a totally different number ( 051 )...Clearly no indication to its age :-?
Both modules look alike, both are marked 550 series on cases back-side, but the first one has a light...the other has the stop-watch.
They have that '70s look, but most likely a product of the '80s ?

Andrea

Post17 Jul 2012, 22:23

Hi Benrus.
I'm Andrea, I live in Italy.
When I was 8 years old, in May of 1978, I received a Texas Instruments very similar to the 550.
I remember it was without internal light, but I think it had only one button.
Do you think I remember correctly?

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Jul 2012, 03:36

Andrea wrote:Hi Benrus.
When I was 8 years old, in May of 1978, I received a Texas Instruments very similar to the 550.

Welcome to the forum ;-)
Might of been the same case/style, but with a different TI module? If it had no light, then most likely a button to access date/seconds display?

quietman

Techie

Techie

Post19 Jul 2012, 22:56

BENRUS wrote:

Welcome to the forum ;-)
Might of been the same case/style, but with a different TI module? If it had no light, then most likely a button to access date/seconds display?

I recently acquired a Texas Instruments 550 series with only one button (time->date->seconds) and no light. Mine's in black plastic Croc-skin with gold and silver highlights ......

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Jul 2012, 04:18

Nice! Thanks for sharing that one ;-)
Love the Croc-Skin!

Andrea

Post21 Jul 2012, 19:02

BENRUS wrote:

Welcome to the forum ;-)

Well, I was 10 year old when someone stole me the watch. So I don't rember the TI module. I has only one button to access date, seconds and a button to press with a pen to set date/time.

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions