It is currently 11 May 2024, 19:01

What a difference a year makes

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

What a difference a year makes

Post17 Jul 2012, 17:35

Well I joined DWF in June 2011 and at that time I had 2 non digitals (an Omega and a Citizen) and 1 digital - the Citizen Independent LED. Longing to recreate my youth when as a 13/14 year old I had a Sinclair Black watch I made my first vintage LED watch purchase on the 4th July 2011. It was a Pulsar GF mens Dress watch from Ed at Retroleds.......... and then the floodgates opened.

1 year on it now amounts to these below, many from forum members and collectors such as Ed, Abe, Mick, Greg, Hanno and Peter at Magic Digitals (many thanks to all of you) and of course where would we be without Ebay!

Perhaps I should stop now or maybe someone has a cure!!! M:)W:)M

Left 5 watch box
Adidas Originals LED set

Middle 15 box set from top left
1st Row - Pulsars - Classic in SS and GF, Bigtime and Executives in GF and SS
2nd Row - Omega Digital 2s (1603) in GF and SS, JLC MasterQuartz LED (Lug version), Omega Digital 1s (1602) in SS and GF
3rd Row - Pulsar Mens Dress watch in SS and GF, Pulsar Sport, Hamilton QED 2s (1603) in GF and SS

Right 5 watch box
Hamilton LCD, Handok scrolling matrix LCD, Citizen Independent and the Pulsars LCDs in GF and SS

Last edited by Ade51 on 17 Jul 2012, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: What a difference a year makes

Post17 Jul 2012, 17:44

That all in one year...imagine in 5 years :-D

ok my favorites
the seiko d031 dot matrix
the omega digital 2s in ss and pulsar men dress in ss.

nice collection.

edit: what do you wear mostly?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jul 2012, 17:55

:eek:

What a mouth-watering picture! Someone must help me because I'm drooling way too much. :O`~
All the models you have are very beautiful, and you have a great choice. I especially love that Pulsar Big Time... It's one of my favourite watches together with the P2 and the Bulova N6 Sideview. 8-)

(Makes me remember that some days ago I've just bought an untested P2 in great conditions that turned out to be working like a charm, it just required a new pair of batteries. Can't wait to get it! :-D )
Image Image

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jul 2012, 19:00

kasper wrote:That all in one year...imagine in 5 years :-D

ok my favorites
the seiko d031 dot matrix
the omega digital 2s in ss and pulsar men dress in ss.

nice collection.

edit: what do you wear mostly?

Hi Kasper,

Well for work I normally wear my old citizen but some days I wear an LED however when I get home I always change and wear one of my collection (I try and do it in a rotation so they all get a go) however at the weekend I always wear one from the collection. The GF Pulsar executive does get more than its fair share together with the SS Omegas.
Last edited by Ade51 on 17 Jul 2012, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jul 2012, 19:05

vpn wrote::eek:

What a mouth-watering picture! Someone must help me because I'm drooling way too much. :O`~
All the models you have are very beautiful, and you have a great choice. I especially love that Pulsar Big Time... It's one of my favourite watches together with the P2 and the Bulova N6 Sideview. 8-)

(Makes me remember that some days ago I've just bought an untested P2 in great conditions that turned out to be working like a charm, it just required a new pair of batteries. Can't wait to get it! :-D )

Hi VPN and thanks for the comments. The ones that look like Bulova N6's are more modern (about 10 years old) and actually copies with the addidas brand. The SS bracelet ones are of particular good quality and although limited to a 1000 each can be bought for reasonable prices on Ebay.

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jul 2012, 20:24

Yep, I've seen a couple of them on Ebay in the previous months. They look very good and their quality is high as well, but IMHO if they'd have thinner digits, instead of the "calculator-like" ones, they would have have an higher retro appeal. :-)

And I agree with you about the rotation, there's nothing better than wearing on rotation, all the watches of the collection. Every day I wear a different watch from my collection, and it makes you feel great. :-D
Image Image

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post18 Jul 2012, 04:19

Wow!

Interesting... a full set of P4's (exec, classic, Big Time, dress), Pulsar Sport, Omega 1602's and 1603's, late model QED IIs... almost all the classic late 70's models, but no early classics - P2's, P3's, QED's, Omega TC's, or Bulova Big Blocks. Do you like the later models because of the styling or do you think that the early models are overrated? Since you've got a few uncommon models like the JLC and the Hamilton QTC (LCD), I'm guessing that you like to take the road less travelled.

-abe.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post18 Jul 2012, 09:04

Nice collection Ade! 8-)

I think you are going to need a bigger box ;-)

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Jul 2012, 16:29

abem wrote:Wow!

Interesting... a full set of P4's (exec, classic, Big Time, dress), Pulsar Sport, Omega 1602's and 1603's, late model QED IIs... almost all the classic late 70's models, but no early classics - P2's, P3's, QED's, Omega TC's, or Bulova Big Blocks. Do you like the later models because of the styling or do you think that the early models are overrated? Since you've got a few uncommon models like the JLC and the Hamilton QTC (LCD), I'm guessing that you like to take the road less travelled.

-abe.

Hi Abe, I thought someone would spot this. Over the last 12 months I have had a variety of watches including P2, P2 Date and P3. For some reason I've sold all these earlier models in preference to the later versions. Every vintage watch I have sold has made me a tidy profit - shame this is not the case on modern watches. A minty P2 date which I bought off Ebay 9 months ago for £70 sold for £420 recently; hence why my collection has grown so quickly.

I do seem to be drawn to the later styling circa 75-77 and I do like watches with DOW. I don't have a preference over dot vs line displays however if I had to choose I would go for the bar display. My preferences would seem to go against the grain of many a hardened LED collectors but were all different.

In conclusion it must be due to the styling. Now that I have the majority of Omegas, Pulsars and Hamiltons in the styling I like (although there are a couple of Hamiltons I am still after) I'm wondering what next? Any suggestions?

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Jul 2012, 16:48

bucko170 wrote:Nice collection Ade! 8-)

I think you are going to need a bigger box ;-)

Hi Mick - Ah but then the other half might notice how my collection has grown :-D

What i have done so far is sold any overflow in preference to ones that I really want however I'm now at a point where I do not want to let go any that I have in the boxes so if there are any new ones that catch my eye its how to store them as I like to look at them often 8-) . I may need a different way to display them - I saw a wall mounted case that would hold 50 watches on Ebay a while ago but the postage was over £100.

Have you seen any innovative ways on storing them so they can be admired but also easily accessed?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post18 Jul 2012, 23:25

I have my collection in a silver glass display cabinet with two extra shelves purchased from eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180863148385?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

Plus two wall display cases from Argos which each hold 42 watches on stands, I sprayed them silver to match the free standing cabinet.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... ABINET.htm

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post18 Jul 2012, 23:42

i'm looking to...have to many watches, but i'm looking to make something artistic like a wall of watches...something like

or

some sort of curved plexi like in a swatch shop cause i have watches that cannot get flat. Like the last pictures with bigger and stronger curves
and a watch on every top of curve.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post19 Jul 2012, 01:31

Now that you've got most of the 70's digitals that you really like, you might want to expand your horizons to the many cool analog watches that were made in the 70's (heresy!)

The 1970s were the only time in history when all of the major movement types known today were being produced simultaneously - mechanical, automatic, LED, LCD, quartz analog, and tuning fork watches. Check out some of the cool tuning fork watches made in those years - Accutrons, Omegas, Eterna Sonics, Tronosonics, Tissonics, etc. I particularly like the ones with the "TV" faced cases.

-abe.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post19 Jul 2012, 07:41

-abe.

That´s what me astonishes, too. I like the edged Hamiltons on the lower right which do not seem to show up often. To find these watches within a year was quite tough, wasn´t it?

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Jul 2012, 16:39

bucko170 wrote:I have my collection in a silver glass display cabinet with two extra shelves purchased from eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180863148385?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

Plus two wall display cases from Argos which each hold 42 watches on stands, I sprayed them silver to match the free standing cabinet.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... ABINET.htm

Hi Mick, thank for the info - the Argos cabinets look interesting.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Jul 2012, 16:43

abem wrote:Now that you've got most of the 70's digitals that you really like, you might want to expand your horizons to the many cool analog watches that were made in the 70's (heresy!)

The 1970s were the only time in history when all of the major movement types known today were being produced simultaneously - mechanical, automatic, LED, LCD, quartz analog, and tuning fork watches. Check out some of the cool tuning fork watches made in those years - Accutrons, Omegas, Eterna Sonics, Tronosonics, Tissonics, etc. I particularly like the ones with the "TV" faced cases.

-abe.

Thanks Abe - yes I dont go for round faces on a watch so something unusual in shape would be good. I must admit that I do like digital displays so maybe I can look at expanding my LCDs.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Jul 2012, 16:56

SASM wrote:

That´s what me astonishes, too. I like the edged Hamiltons on the lower right which do not seem to show up often. To find these watches within a year was quite tough, wasn´t it?

Hi Hanno, The 2 Hamiltons were difficult to find and then in 1 week they both appeared on EBay from separate sellers. The SS Omega Digital 1 and SS Pulsar Men's dress were the hardest to get and I've only managed to get them in the last month. The Pulsar SS classic was also hard to find as well.

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions