It is currently 15 May 2024, 08:56

My small digital collection

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Plato

Geek

Geek

My small digital collection

Post21 Jun 2013, 01:47

Compared to some of the amazing collections on here it is meagre indeed... but I get a lot of enjoyment from them :-)

You'll notice the case is full now and I have agreed with my girlfriend that this is the maximum limit to the collection. Each one I add from now on, one must get sold also. It adds a certain discipline that I think is wise.... or I'll end up with 00's of them like some of the members here :grin1:

All on the top row need attention, whereas the middle and lower rows are all operating pretty well. My *favourite* is the pulsar big time, but the one I *wear most* is the Seiko LCD in brass/gold.

J

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: My small digital collection

Post21 Jun 2013, 09:57

Plato wrote:Compared to some of the amazing collections on here it is meagre indeed... but I get a lot of enjoyment from them :-)

You'll notice the case is full now and I have agreed with my girlfriend that this is the maximum limit to the collection. Each one I add from now on, one must get sold also. It adds a certain discipline that I think is wise.... or I'll end up with 00's of them like some of the members here :grin1:

yeah i had the same arrangement with my wife..but i bought a big cabinet and ditched the small case M:)W:)M

thats a great collection so far..top left and the 7th on top (round mirror) i don't recognize.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Jun 2013, 13:45

You are being modest about the small part.

KARNAK

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jun 2013, 14:09

Hi Plat

KARNAK

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jun 2013, 14:14

Hi Plato,

I would not classify this as a meagre collection, you hav a very nice mix up of watches and you should be very proud of yourself 24 watches is a very good collection indeed.

Regards,
KARNAK

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Jun 2013, 17:44

It's not the size that matters, just the quality :mrgreen:

Nice quality collection!

Geoff

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post21 Jun 2013, 17:58

A very nice collection and I believe in the old adage that size doesn't matter ;-)

I wished I would of had the discipline to limited the size of my collection, the 'one in one out' plan sounds good..... so long as you can stick to it ~:( I am one of the nutters that didn't :lol:

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post21 Jun 2013, 22:01

Hey Bucko
Thanks for the kind words. Actually yours was the collection that sort of broke my spirit early on! The galleries of your collection are so awesome that I realised I am unlikely to ever match it .without spending 000s and many years... it would become an all consuming passion..

So I decided there had to be a limit I stick to. And I can enjoy the ones I have and just about have enough time to wear them all occasionally. :-D maybe sell me a big block or 2 hehe

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post21 Jun 2013, 22:06

Geoff Karnak Kasper
thabks for the kind words. At least there is plenty of scope to expand - 2 of the watches are her indoors so shouldnt cou.t tree really..

And the there are 4 old lcds identical to replace...

How many do you each have at a rough count and do you wear them or is it a display collection?

regards. j

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Jun 2013, 18:45

Wonderful collection there.
:mega:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Jun 2013, 20:12

Nice collection. I like the Big time, somehow it's getting hard to get my hands on one. I got this nice 12 watch display case hoping once fill I will stop, men I was wrong.
To make matters worst I started to like those big automatic diving watches. Help me lord.
:bang:

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post22 Jun 2013, 21:24

Phasar66 wrote:..........To make matters worst I started to like those big automatic diving watches. Help me lord. :bang:

Oh Lordy ~:( You mean those big expensive automatic diving watches. :lol: It might be time to re-think the watch budget ;-)

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Jun 2013, 22:26

That's right. I purchase the cheap Seiko Orangemonster because I needed something to wear for the beach and swimming and I like it. but what I really like is the Tag Heuer Aquaracer or the Omega Seamaster. But is only a dream, Oh god, there is not way I can afford something like this.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Jun 2013, 02:43

Not to steal the thread but I just started this thread at watchuseek on a seamaster 300 circa 1965:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/basket-case-omega-300-resto-879245.html

Up to 250 watches but I have been restoring for about 24 years and they are part of my pension fund. Hopefully people will buy when I retire :nikolaus:

Cheers

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Jun 2013, 21:28

767Geoff wrote:they are part of my pension fund. Hopefully people will buy when I retire :nikolaus:

Cheers

Yes, mine are part of my pension fund also.
Hopefully i will live that long because i doubt i will ever make it if our government keeps adding years to
when we can finally retire. :bang:

And if nobody wants to buy them i will wear them myself and enjoy them till then just looking at these
beauties gives me enough satisfaction.

Let's have a drink on making our retirement in good health. :Prost:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jun 2013, 22:58

Thanks for sharing - it's always nice seeing personal collections. You have a good mix of watches with some really nice examples.

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post27 Jun 2013, 12:44

thanks for the comments and Im glad it was interesting to have a look at my case of watches.

Off at a bit of a tangent...I was interested by Geoff and Cesars comments and their watch based retirement plans. Seems a reasonable plan to have inflation proof goods in this economic climate. Although for me:
1.I am not near that age yet
2. it looks.like the government will make me work till I drop dead anyhow
3. there won't be much of a pension available from my collection!

But will the watch market stay strong as we get older? I ask because a lot of the youngsters in the office aren't wearing watches. They admire mine occasionally but as they have their phones on them constantly they say they don't need a watch. It is a very small sample but I wonder if it's a trend for the future? I suppose related to that is the adverts I see for new combined wristwatch/smartphones.... generally 100£ or so I wonder if they are a big thing for the future. I haven't tried one yet but they are definitely a digital watch.

j

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jun 2013, 17:00

Following on from the above post.. the thing that worries me most about keeping digi watches as a future investment is the lifespan, what if they stop working?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post27 Jun 2013, 22:36

That is why more than half my collection is in solid gold (112 watches, several kilograms, in total). No matter what the collectors' market may do in the future, the precious metals will hold their value forever.

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions