It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 17:14

'Grail' : First Citizen LCD 60-1012 !

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

'Grail' : First Citizen LCD 60-1012 !

Post28 Aug 2013, 22:11

As an enthusiastic collector of the Crystron's, Casiotron's and early Seiko's I have been looking out for an affordable Citizen 60-1012 in good and original condition.

As the very first digital Seiko is a grail to many (including myself), this citizen has been one of my others,

The 60-1012 is Citizen's very first LCD watch on the domestic and international market. Some samples date back to 1973, mine dates september 1974.

The 9010 solid state movement is of a véry high quality and has some funky features; Its provided with a single pusher in its left lower side to reset second to 0 and advance 1 minute. This makes calibrating time extremely easy.
The movement is controlled by a crown with 8 (!) positions. Pushing the crown shows seconds from date, releasing it makes the date show again

Another very cool feature is fully disabling the lcd panel by a twist of the crown (which saves battery power)

The later 9011 (electronically basically similar) truly 'toggles' between both date and seconds. Another difference between both movements is the shape of the lcd panel (in depth, not in surface shape, so NOT interchangeable), a loose polarizing filter (on the 9011) and a difference in colour tone of the back panel (grey on the 9010 vs metallic silver on the 9011)

Well, I found this sample in Israel some weeks ago. As you can see clearly, it has a practically dead lcd panel..

BUT, after placing a rescue post on the 'wanted parts' section of this forum, Simone was able to provide me with a working original 9010 lcd panel !!

I didn't need much work on restoring, as I prefer -generally- preserving the original looks :
Some brushing of scratches on case and bracelet using a glass fiber pencil, lubricating all gaskets. Cleaning case, bracelet, pusher and crown (was surprised to see some rust particles in the stainless steel)

I'm a very happy individual now, wearing this beautiful fully functional Citizen watch on my wrist as I write :)

It has a very good looking case without any serious damage (as well as the original bracelet), a perfect brushed sunbust. Some damage on the crystal, but hey, we cant have it all ;)

Last edited by elceedee on 29 Aug 2013, 00:19, edited 2 times in total.

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: 'Grail' : First Citizen LCD 60-1012 !

Post28 Aug 2013, 23:51

Fantastic save. It looks great. A really undervalued watch. The module is a marvel on its own. The glass is more than I have on the two I own. Im still looking for a good fascia panel if anyone has one.

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2013, 00:58

yes incredible piece...if i can see the glass on its own, i can maybe reproduce it. I just reproduced a seiko 0644 and a seiko 06LC glass, so it must be possible.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Aug 2013, 01:00

Yes! Kasper, you told me. And im very curious about the end result :) Please post it later!

simone

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2013, 12:38

Great restoration...i'm happy to see this beautiful watch still running ;-)

:dwf:
Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable
Some watches, simply are not made to last
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion
Someday perhaps, all watches will be made this way

simone

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2013, 12:47

DWL wrote:Fantastic save. It looks great. A really undervalued watch. The module is a marvel on its own. The glass is more than I have on the two I own. Im still looking for a good fascia panel if anyone has one.

Adam

Mmmmm maybe i have one but with one broken "pin" (i don't know the exact english word)...this fascia has two back pin...if you are interested let me know

KARNAK

Techie

Techie

Post29 Aug 2013, 15:17

Hi Simone,

Fantastic find, watch looks like it came outa the factory, you shure can fined the goodies,
Regards,
KARNAK :Prost:

simone

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2013, 18:52

Ernest you have a brother....here my 9010 nos....finally my citizen is not alone in the world :-D :-D
A very beautiful watch and very easy to set....a masterpiece of tecnology for sure,my citizen is came from december 1973

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Aug 2013, 19:03

WOW, simone.. You must own the best looking 60-1012 in the world..
Once again, fantastic that you could help me out, im very happy

simone

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2013, 19:45

seicitizitch wrote:WOW, simone.. You must own the best looking 60-1012 in the world..
Once again, fantastic that you could help me out, im very happy

it's a real pleasure help you ;-)

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions