It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:47

Mirror Mirror. Novus nightmare.

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Mirror Mirror. Novus nightmare.

Post30 Dec 2013, 06:04

The hardest part is to make this baby shine, There is no way for me to get the factory shine on this watch
It took me for ever to get to this point but it was worth it. ~:(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Mirror Mirror. Novus nightmare.

Post30 Dec 2013, 07:06

Ah yes, I refinished a Novus a while back. I takes an incredible amount of elbow grease to work with stainless steel. The difference between almost mirror finish and a true mirror finish is an incredible amount of work.

The most frustrating thing that I found was that all it takes is the tiniest invisible bit of grit to cause a tiny hairline scratch and then you're back to square 1 again. It takes a lot of patience (and a clean work area and a supply of pristine new polishing cloths too).

-abe.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post30 Dec 2013, 13:48

i did one for Adam a few months back. You just need the correct finishing polish.

this is how it came in.

check it out! :dwf:
http://nickhacko.blogspot.be/2009/05/rolex-case-polishing.html
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Dec 2013, 20:19

Kasper,

Nice job. Very shiny. It's hard to keep the edges sharp, though. You can still see how the corners are a bit rounded, which isn't that bad, but it's difficult / almost impossible to get it to look "new new" rather than "restored new".

-abe.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post30 Dec 2013, 20:35

great observation Abe, if it's my piece, i tried to sharpen it again from the sides so i do not have to touch the upper side. I would loose a bit of material.

I recently bought some new material (machine) so i have to do less work by hand and keep the sharp corners :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Dec 2013, 06:03

Is very hard to keep the edges sharp refinishing by hand, I like to see what Kasper comes with. but definitely some kind of jig will help
also the pushers on this watch don't come apart like those held with E clips and had to be removed as a unit, with out a remover I didn't
want to risk damage them. Having a bare case would make it easier to refinish. I really like this watch and I like to wear it too
after I gain more experience will go back and do it right. The design is timeless and has been copied before and still today, I over paid for this non working
piece but having and extra module made the project happen, this is one of the newest incarnations of this watch, I got it a few weeks ago before I got the Novus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions