It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:17

Leds or other collectables you wish you'd bought but didnt.

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

leddwatch

Banned

Leds or other collectables you wish you'd bought but didnt.

Post29 Apr 2007, 00:49

Theres been some good new threads lately so heres another. How about the things (leds or others) that you really wish you had bought but didnt and its hurt you ever since. I will kick off:

In the early 70's my Dad took me to London and in a film memorabilia shop near Piccadilly Circus I saw a Star Trek communicator, it was from the original Paramount studios and it had a letter of authenticity from the studio that it was one of a few that Kirk and his men used on the original series, the best one where Kirk bodly went in search of Uhuru's muff on the planet 'Tharg' and the girls were always shot in soft focus....

I'll never forget it, it had a gold covered grill on top which flipped up, and some fake lights underneath with a fake silver speaker.

Dad laughed when I pleaded with him to buy it me because at £75 it was about two weeks wages, I nagged for ages but he wouldnt buy it, not that I blame him, but crickey, how much would that be worth now?

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

re: Leds or other collectables you wish you'd bought but did

Post29 Apr 2007, 18:41

A Jensen Interceptor (does this count Phil, it is a collectable), i was about 23, it was silver, mint condition. warranted 23,000 miles, one owner. I'll never forget sliding in to those white leather seats, huge gear tunnel to my left. turning the key and firing up 7.2 litres of Uncle Sams burbling V8- i could just about afford the purchase price but not the insurance, -just like Phil, my Father wouldn't wear it :x Still hanker after one-even now- but 8 to the gallon :!: :!:

leddwatch

Banned

Post30 Apr 2007, 10:16

Yes, it certainly does count! I remember those, I think the groovy name probably sold them as much as anything else, are there any around still? What sort of value do they have? I remember my Dad loving those at the same time as he wanted an E Type Jag. I wasnt interested in cars, all I wanted was a Yamaha FS1e the moped of choice for the UK teenager.... :roll:

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Apr 2007, 14:47

there's a thriving club for Jensens, jensen Owners Club, most of the nice ones have been restored as they rusted really badly, restoration costs far outway the value of the finished car (unfortunately) :cry:

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post30 Apr 2007, 15:23

The car memories got me...in '79 I bought a '69 Cadillac Coupe De Ville for $150(one owner, guy just couldn't take the gas consumption any more). 472 cubic inches of gusto(7.73 litre) with a 4 barrel carb - the biggest engine GM has ever put in a regular production car. 75-100 meters of smoking rubber from a dead stop if you stood on the pedal, and smooth sailing even with the speedometer buried...at about 6000 lb(2721 kilo) what else would you expect? :o Even with the gas prices today, it would be awesome to take a group out for a roll down the highway. 8)
I had a dissapointment memory too - the "El Camino" my parent's wouldn't loan me the money to buy :x

Yes, there have been good threads lately...thanks for the activity and good spirits gents. :mrgreen:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post01 May 2007, 05:01

In 1974 I bought my first car, a twin overhead cam, 5 speed manual transmission (first on the market) 155 hp Celica,

Still have it, still drive it. My wife loves it.

I let the volvo sport coupe at the car lot, in retrospect, glad I kept the celica but the volvo sport coupe from 66 would have been fun

Cheers, geoff

jblin

Post08 May 2007, 22:45

I bought a '70 Gran Sport Stage 1 for $1000 and made it into a drag car only to find out later it was 1 of 16 built. What made it unique was the 3-speed on the floor. I'm still kicking myself for it. That car would bring in $35k-$50k today restored. It didn't need much work to begin with. Just a little rusty. The previous owner didn't even have a clue it was that rare. Now when I buy a car I check the RPO codes and production numbers.

Return to General Discussion