It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:05

Party Stores

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Party Stores

Post15 Oct 2007, 03:19

Time for an ice breaker from my last thread. :-)

So how did convience stores in Michigan, USA, get then name Party Stores?

Maybe Ed can shed some light...

Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Party Stores

Post17 Oct 2007, 14:56

Closest I can guess is that is where you get your supplies for partying. A least the legal ones.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post18 Oct 2007, 15:48

Many areas of the west side of Michigan were settled by the Dutch originally. They did not believe in drinking on Sunday. If you were going to have a party on Sunday, or even just wanted alcohol for personal use, you had to drive to a county that didn't ban alcohol sales on Sunday.

Some liquor store owners built their stores just over the county borders, and made a lot of money on Sundays. In the 1960's and beyond, these stores became known as "Party Stores". Eventually, the name spread to cover all liquor stores. At least, that is how the name was explained to me.
Steve Kamerad

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post18 Oct 2007, 16:24

I think Steve's explanation is correct....I now recall hearing that before. Same situations applies in many parts of the Southern USA. Canada(where Jeff/Majestyk lives) is so cold, you need to drink constantly just to not freeze...basically a continuous party(jk.) :lol:

Hey you all - visit Steve's site if you haven't already.....he does great work and takes a lot of pride and effort in what he does!
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post18 Oct 2007, 23:47

Ed,
Thanks for inviting the group to visit my website.

I just checked the law, and it still is illegal to sell any kind of alcoholic beverage on Sunday in Ottawa County.
Steve Kamerad

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post22 Oct 2007, 10:47

Well now I know. Thanks! I've been wondering this ever since I went to a "Party Store" after seeing a concert in Detroit.

Canada(where Jeff/Majestyk lives) is so cold.....

Ha yeah, it was 80 in Toronoto yesterday. :-D Only 50+ here in Vancouver. :x

Jeff

Return to General Discussion