It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:05

Fast and reliable shipping from USA to Germany

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Fast and reliable shipping from USA to Germany

Post10 Mar 2008, 13:04

What's the best method for an item that doesn't fit in a padded envelope, like a watch in its box, or a vintage LED calculator?

USPS First Class Mail International does not seem to be a good way - I've been waiting more than 4 weeks for an item now, and it's not the first time it takes so long. Another seller told me last time he shipped "First Class" to Germany it took 7 months (!). OTOH I've also had First Class shippings that took less than a week.

Priority Mail is said to be better, but $27 is a bit much for $20 items...

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

: Fast and reliable shipping from USA to Germany

Post10 Mar 2008, 21:39

Most of the items I get sent (boxed watches calcs etc) from the US to the UK are posted by Global Priority Mail or First Class Mail, usually it takes about a week. GPM is a bit more expensive but worth it. But be aware as some shipping methods take ages to arrive, never ever get anything sent by surface probably will never arrive either.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Mar 2008, 00:18

Always go for Global Priority from the States to Europe. Anything else is just inviting hassle. It's also worth getting it sent so you have to sign for it - that way there's less chance of the postie leaving your long awaited timepiece on the doorstep for two days before you get home from holiday. (they do that here in Denmark sometimes - madness!)

27 dollars may seem expensive for postage but compare that to me still wondering four years later what the heck happened to that n.o.s Jules Jurgensen led which went missing... (the only one ever to not show up eventually).

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post11 Mar 2008, 01:19

Thanks for your input so far.
With "Global Priority" do you mean "Priority MailĀ® International"?
http://www.usps.com/international/prioritymailinternational.htm
I can't find anything "Global".
http://ircalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServices.aspx?Country=10137&M=2&P=1&O=0&sd=1

Any experience with other carriers like UPS or FedEx?

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2008, 12:42

the best shipping option for most of my watches is the Global Priority flatrate cardboard envelope which costs 11$ worldwide and can contain 4 pounds of goods.
it can be quite thick with a wrapped item inside and I've received some small watch boxes this way without a problem. the only necessity is to secure the seems with transparent tape.

Global Priority boxes and other mailers are more expensive and have a variable cost based on weight - usually 25-35$

check more mailers at:
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... ryId=13356

Surface (economy) mail is no longer available since the big changes at USPS in May 2007.
First-class is the new name for Airmail and is very good for small cheap items and vary from 3.5$ to 8$.

Registered (signed-for) option is currently 10.15$ and can be added to First-Class and Priority non-flatrate. Insurance is available and is tracked online on a limited basis - you only get the information that it was sent, left the US, and was delivered to your country on day X.

Express Mail (USPS courier) is very expensive but has full online tracking and has insurance. others such as DHL or FedEx work the same way. most of such items will be stopped at customs due to the real value stated on the package.

I've lost some 5 watches in the last 5 years but I no longer use registered or expensive shipping.
Calculate this average example yourself:
100 watches per year x 11$ flatrate = 1100$
let's assume 2 get lost equal to 300$
total: 1400$

safer and more expensive alternative:
100 watches per year x 30$ average priority = 3000$
total: 3000$

so even if I loose one or two watches, I'm still saving plenty of money.
when I ask the seller to ship a "slightly" more expensive watch I use priority insured and registered or first-class registered.

PS. additionally you also save heaps of money on customs fees :)
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Return to General Discussion