It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:00

Good-looking modern digital watches

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Good-looking modern digital watches

Post03 Dec 2008, 22:18

My google quest for slick looking modern digitals (ie, something forward looking, futuristic, and SciFi in appearance) has, to date, turned up only three watches:

Infinity Apus Dark Force (OLED) (check out the cool flash movie that shows the seconds scrolling)

pod Chronograph (LCD) (a bargin at $14.00 a pop, or should that be "pod")

Quadtech (LCD) (modern and retro at the same time)

Anyone got any others?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: Good-looking modern digital watches

Post03 Dec 2008, 22:41

I vote the Infinity Apus Dark Force as my favorite out of the three.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post03 Dec 2008, 22:47

The Infinity is the same module as the DKNY NY1367 or a blue BENCH watch(forget model number). Both are very nice displays, OLED.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Dec 2008, 12:03

I like the last oone, very good updated retro watch that looked really nice on the leather, and I liked the PVD racing bracelet.

Given up on oled for the moment - just not bright enough. Still nice watches though. Wish I had more arms.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : Good-looking modern digital watches

Post04 Dec 2008, 15:38

Fitron wrote:...Given up on oled for the moment - just not bright enough. Still nice watches though. Wish I had more arms.

Those modules are actually pretty bright, but the Chinese guys put a piece of red film over the display. With the film gone it looks absolutely fabulous thru vintage glass. I was frankenstiening one from a DKNY 1367 to put in a P3 but the snapped together construction of the module became problematic. I'm going to try another but I will fuse the module together right off(ok, epoxy :lol: ) so I have a sturdier package to work with. It's a funny construction inside - a small ribbon cable runs to the display which is a glass matrix like an LCD, but it relies on a "Zebra strip" along one side of the display also. The display is a grid of squares - maybe 20X80(possible higher, rendering smaller squares - sorry, didn't count). Maybe someone could dig around for some articles on OLED display technology and how different manufacturers are implimenting it in consumer devices. I'll confess: if it wasn't for the darn zebra strip, the ribbon cable would allow the whole display to be turned 90 degrees from the circuit board, which means I could have worked toward putting that puppy into a Synchronar case. That would have been "the bomb" - time with running seconds,DOW, 12/24 time, two alarms(small piezo buzzer would be needed).

Even though they are pretty bright, still hard for them to be completely useful in outside daylight. :x Really crisp, well formed characters though.....they're getting closer. :-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to General Discussion