It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:55

Falling Exchange Rate For The GBP

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Falling Exchange Rate For The GBP

Post24 Jan 2009, 13:45

A few months back I was considering buying the Seiko WN2 (The earth watch) I did the relevant search and found one for sale on ebay which I placed on my 'watched item' list. The watch seller was from the USA and the watch was priced at $795 which when converted to GPB equated to approx £470.

Because of the falling value of Sterling the cost in GPB has gradually increased from £470 and today the watch would cost me £581.61.

The falling value of the GBP not only against the dollar but also against the Euro has effected what I buy and I am much more likely to purchase from the UK nowadays, especially considering a UK purchase doesn't incur any nasty shocks with custom charges etc.

I was wondering if anyone noticed any increase or decrease in sales as a result of the falling value of sterling?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Falling Exchange Rate For The GBP

Post24 Jan 2009, 15:24

I have noticed an increase not in sales, but in my personal purchase from the UK - GBP is quite cheap now relatve toe EUR :-D
And because the UK is in the European Union, there are NO customs charges to Germany :-D

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jan 2009, 19:51

We had it good for a while with over $2 to the pound I can't complain as I've scooped big style buying lots of cheap watches for working modules... :-D

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jan 2009, 20:00

We had it good for a while with over $2 to the pound I can't complain as I've scooped big style buying lots of cheap watches for working modules...

Now would be a good time to take advantage of the attractive exchange rates and sell them :-D

Is there any prediction for what will happen long term with the rates, will it get worse or will Sterling bounce back?

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jan 2009, 03:14

I've noticed the Australian dollar falling big-time. Six months ago it was worth US$0.98. It's now about US$0.65.It drastically affects what I buy now.......especially since I now have to do a calculation to find my real cost (a 1:1 rate is much easier on the brain !).

Your right Bucko, it would be a good time to sell some stuff. I've never sold on Ebay before.........is your buying rating the same as your selling rating ? No-one will want to buy an expensive watch from someone with zero feedback.

Rgds,
Andrew.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Falling Exchange Rate For The GBP

Post25 Jan 2009, 12:56

bucko170 wrote:...Is there any prediction for what will happen long term with the rates, will it get worse or will Sterling bounce back?
If anybody could predict that, he'd soon become rich. Those who tried making money that way are exactly the people who caused all the mess. :-|
charger105 wrote:...........is your buying rating the same as your selling rating...
Yes, it is. You can start selling with great feedback just from buying.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jan 2009, 12:58

The overall feedback score is calculated by adding your feedback as a buyer and feedback as a seller together.

Your overall feedback score will be displayed as usual, but your seller feedback for your first sale will be zero.

The individual buyer and seller feedback scores can be viewed by any potential bidders.

When you click on the feedback score displayed at the side of a members user name it gives the option to view their feedback as a seller, buyer, overall feedback or feedback left for others.

There is also a section which displays the sellers 'star' ratings this will only becomes active when ten buyers have left their ratings.

So long as the seller has good overall feedback and has been a member of ebay for a couple of years I personally would not be put off in making a bid on a their first listing.

I am very cautious with new ebay members with zero or a very low overall feedback score who list expensive items.

Return to General Discussion