It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:10

Small changes made to forum, anything else(small)you'd like?

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Small changes made to forum, anything else(small)you'd like?

Post13 Mar 2009, 15:19

Wondering what you guys thought of the "10 most recent" threads at bottom of home page? I noticed a real surge in activity when I put that up, almost as if people were drawn to the "action". :lol:
I re-tweaked the code so you can put smilies anywhere in your posts without them trying to fly to the end. And is it just me or do you guys shut off the"Spelling Cow" spell checker and use the one in your browser? I've been using Firefox lately and its spell checker is very unobtrusive. Before I run off into the summer sun, any toys or features that would be nice?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Small changes made to forum, anything else(small)you'd lik

Post13 Mar 2009, 17:59

I always enter the forum directly via "search new posts", so I never even get to see the main page....
http://dwf.nu/search.php?search_id=newposts

I don't use any spell checkers.

I recently noticed that I can't select text in the edit window any more by dragging the mouse, this is a bit annoying - via shift+cursor keys it still works (IE7). Selecting a word by double-cklicking on it also doesn't work any more.

I write long postings offline and copy-paste them to the edit window. It has happened too often that I lost a long text just because of some internet or forum or browser hiccup....

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : Small changes made to forum, anything else(small)you'd

Post13 Mar 2009, 22:19

rewolf wrote:I recently noticed that I can't select text in the edit window any more by dragging the mouse, this is a bit annoying - via shift+cursor keys it still works (IE7). Selecting a word by double-cklicking on it also doesn't work any more.

I write long postings offline and copy-paste them to the edit window. It has happened too often that I lost a long text just because of some internet or forum or browser hiccup....

Bad news ReWolf - I have asked a few other people, and they and I are not having that problem.

1) RIGHT click on start button
2) select Properties
3) in BOTH "Taskbar" and "Start menu" properies" select the "Start Menu" Tab
4) Select "Customize" (doesnt matter if you are using the classic or general style)
5)Click on advance and scroll to search "Enable Drag and drop"
6) Check it
7) Click Apply...

it will work - you obviously have "drag and drop" shut off.

Your mouse - sorry once again...I suspect you can go into your mouse settings and find that double click for words is off. There are too many types of mouse with proprietary software to even start to address that issue1) RIGHT click on start button
2) select Properties
3) in "Taskbar and start menu properies" select the "Start Menu" Tab
4) Select "Customize" (doesnt matter if you are using the classic or general style)
5)Click on advance and scroll to search "Enable Drag and drop"
6) Uncheck it
7) Click Apply...

it will work
. Logitech mouses being one of the foremost offenders.

Sounds like I should put you in a bookmark to that top ten list - you would get the most recent, not just most recent since your last visit. :-)

Your spelling is marvelous...how do you do it?!
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post15 Mar 2009, 16:42

retroleds wrote:
rewolf wrote:I recently noticed that I can't select text in the edit window any more by dragging the mouse, this is a bit annoying - via shift+cursor keys it still works (IE7). Selecting a word by double-clicking on it also doesn't work any more.....

Bad news ReWolf - I have asked a few other people, and they and I are not having that problem.
1) RIGHT click on start button ....
7) Click Apply...
it will work - you obviously have "drag and drop" shut off.
Sorry, no. I DO have drag and drop active, I use it all day and it works everywhere but in this forum's edit window.
I tried both "drag and drop" unchecked and checked - no change. And this started only a few days ago (can't tell the exact day).

retroleds wrote:Your mouse - sorry once again...I suspect you can go into your mouse settings and find that double click for words is off.
There is no such setting on my system.

retroleds wrote:There are too many types of mouse with proprietary software to even start to address that issue
. Logitech mouses being one of the foremost offenders.
I do have a Logitech wireless mouse but I'm using the standard Microsoft driver (HID conforming mouse). I never installed any Logitech driver for it - why should I if it works fine without?

BTW: I just tried with spell-check enabled: everthing works fine then :-) And the checker even found a mistake in my previous post ;-)

retroleds wrote:Your spelling is marvelous...how do you do it?!
Easy: re-read before posting ;-)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post15 Mar 2009, 19:56

Well, I've verified this isn't a problem for the four other people I asked about this. :-? Now, understand that many programs(word processors in particular) have a built in drab-and-drop function that can over-ride the Windows settings(which is not actually controlled by the Windows manager module). So if that is your main program where you are dragging and dropping, you wouldn't notice even if the settings were off in Windows.

Ah, now another thought comes - I remember you have a slight aversion to Java script(well, at least you were critical I used it on the header, which led to me going with a .gif animation). The spell checker uses Java, so this may again be a battle on your system with the existing software. Some functions of php forums DO use Java as well - Java can be included in PHP pages as well as HTML. 2 clicks highlights a word, 3 clicks paragraph...at least that is my user experience on the computers here. Anyone else have this issue? Otherwise I have to assume it is a client based issue... :cry:

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2009, 23:45

Love the new Emoticon, just makes me wanna be bad !@@!
oh yeh real bad !@@! M:)W:)M

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Small changes made to forum, anything else(small)you'd

Post19 Mar 2009, 09:11

retroleds wrote:...Ah, now another thought comes - I remember you have a slight aversion to Java script(well, at least you were critical I used it on the header, which led to me going with a .gif animation). The spell checker uses Java, so this may again be a battle on your system with the existing software....
Javascript is enabled (I surrendered...). All DOES work when the specker is ENabled, the problem is only when the spell-check is DISabled.

Return to General Discussion