It is currently 17 Jun 2024, 00:02

Gillette LED

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

LEDman7

Nerd

Nerd

Gillette LED

Post06 Jun 2010, 23:52

I went treasure hunting today and I found a Gillette model 307....works fine only a very minor thing, one of the segments on the first and second number from the right side of the display doesn't light up, the lower left segment of both minute displays and the number 6 and the number 8 do not come on so when its say, 5:06...the display will read 5:05 for 2 minutes then at the next "00" it will change to 5:07 the same with the seconds will show 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 05, 07, 09, 09, 10 and so on...it is keeping time well, it is not gaining time or loosing time and an interesting feature is when you tilt your wrist to look at the time the time automatically comes on for about 1 second then it goes off...interesting!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Gillette LED

Post07 Jun 2010, 01:56

Ledman - Gillettes are fun. That series was called the "Gillette Reflex". The movement was made by La Generale Corp. the tip feature is nice. Your perception is correct - tip watch to about 45 degrees, after 1 second of non-movement the display comes on for 2-3 seconds. Pressing the time button can only give time, seconds and date(numeric). It sounds like the same, single wire bond is broken or disconnected.* There are a few of us who can attempt the repair...there is the possibility it is in the actual circuit, not just a broken connection. It is a very fragile display, so I personally seal those displays permanently with clear slow-set epoxy when done working on them. Never to be fixed again, but never to be broken again either(probably).

*The same connection powers the same segment of ALL the display charecters. The charecters are actually taking turns being on(and off), very fast, sort of like motion picture frames giving the appearance of motion. 8-) The process is called "multiplexing". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplexed_display
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDman7

Nerd

Nerd

: Gillette LED

Post07 Jun 2010, 04:06

Thanks for the purchase and thanks for the information on that Gillette!...at first I thought there was a ghost in the room pressing the time command on my watch! I had no previous knowledge of that feature until I discovered it myself...I thought there was something wrong or stuck in the watch...lol! You are right it is the same segment in each number that remains unlit.....I will consider having it repaired...knowing now that it can possibly be fixed...at the moment though it is not too much of a problem.....thanks....I will send out the watch either tomorrow or Tuesday...if not tomorrow, Tuesday for sure because I have a day packed full of classes tomorrow. I am studying graphic design at IADT- International Academy of Design and Technology in Troy :-D *I will be patient with you with the other watches...I know you are buys with a lot of stuff so I believe that my patience will be rewarded...I know you will take the time you need to get through them and do a good job!

Return to General Discussion