It is currently 17 Jun 2024, 01:29

Help Identify watch and batteries

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

Seizuriffic

Help Identify watch and batteries

Post28 Jun 2010, 19:59

Just rescued a CompuChron from a yardsale and can't wait to get it working. No batteries were installed and I can't seem to find a match to the model online. I found a picture on Peter Wanzig's site that matches, but could not find any model information.

Does anyone know which one this is and what batteries it needs? Thanks

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3845/capture2qcs.jpg

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

: Help Identify watch and batteries

Post28 Jun 2010, 20:09

Hi welcome to the forum,

If the set button is opposite the command button the watch will be fitted with a Hughes 25mm module so 386 or SG12 batteries will fit.

Seizuriffic

Post28 Jun 2010, 20:44

Push buttons are between 1 and 2 o clock and at 8 o clock. Recessed button at 3 o clock.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6048/capturebxj.jpg

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post28 Jun 2010, 21:12

Ah, so it's a Hughes 29mm module then, this one takes the bigger 357 batteries.

walsem

Post29 Jun 2010, 00:40

I keep a stock of old watch batteries on hand. That way I can try out various sizes to see what fits.

Seizuriffic

Post29 Jun 2010, 01:26

Thanks Klippie. Just installed a pair of new Silver Oxide 357s. Module is up and working and looks great. Segments are dot based and bright. Upper button gives time with no separator, lower button a single digit on the right for the day. Holding both displays the seconds until the buttons are released. A dot was also visible with the lower button. Does this indicate AM or PM?

I've read several Hughes instruction sheets, but none of them seem to apply to my watch. Pressing the set button only seems to change the hour, unless the time button is held, then set changes the minutes. Repeated pressing does not seem to change modes. If the Date button is held then the single digit changes. How do I set the month?

Any recommendations for preserving the logo on the crystal other than not wearing it? The logo on my Fossil retro watch wore off pretty quickly with daily wear.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jun 2010, 02:13

The Hughes dot display modules only show the date and your correct the little dot is the am/pm indicator, the dot displays look that bit more special than the plain looking bar types don't you think. Regarding the logo as you say the only way to keep it good is not to wear it, has it started to fade any.

It's good to see new members to the forum, have you had an interest in LED watches for a while.

Nice watch by the way the angular design looks good...:-D

Seizuriffic

Post29 Jun 2010, 02:34

Is it normal then with this module to reset the date manually at the beginning of each month? I guess you would have to.

I have always loved LED watches since I received my first, a Star Wars original that is in much worse shape that the pic in my Avatar. I still have that one though. It had a fatal design flaw where the retaining ring for the watch back splits off and the batteries are not held in. I was without an LED watch for years until I found the Fossil LED back around 2001.

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/fossil2.htm

My collection of LED watches is now at 3 with this CompuChron, which really has some heft to it. It wasn't until I started researching it that I discovered what I wide range of models exist and what a great collector community there is. I can't wait to add a few more.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jun 2010, 06:59

Welcome Seizuriffic.
My first LED was also a Star Wars TI - but it was the C3PO & RD2D version. It's long gone - died in the 70's from overuse -but the LED bug never dies! Ha -Ha - Ha ... :twisted: :-D

Return to General Discussion