It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:32

Seiko Kinetic Capacitor / Battery

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

Meiko

Seiko Kinetic Capacitor / Battery

Post12 Oct 2013, 20:58

This is my 1st post so not sure if its in the correct section yet.

I have a Seiko Kinetic (it charges up a 'battery' with movement)

It stopped working one day (even though I wore it 24/7) , I took it to a private jewellers for a repair. They 'sent it away to their repair man'.
A week or so later the shop had a note for me, saying it usually is a capacitor fault (type of rechargeable battery). The watch would have to be returned to Seiko for this repair and an estimate in excess of £100 to do that.

I didn't want to spend that sort of money on the repair at that time, so requested the watch be returned to me. When I got the watch back it made a noise when I shook it, you could hear loose bits inside.

I sent it to Seiko for a valuation to repair. They also estimated in excess of £100 for a capacitor upgrade, BUT wouldn't confirm that the watch would work after this, and that further costs and repairs may be needed. The loose parts inside the watch didn't sound like a bad capacitor to me, so I expect that the higher costs would be necessary. I didn't give Seiko the go-ahead for the repair because of the cost - so they returned it to me.

When I look online, there is quite a bit of information on changing this capacitor. I regret not doing this myself (before the mechanical damage !!!). I can't take it back to the jewellers and claim they have damaged my watch - as I can't prove it, and it was more than a year ago.

Since there wasn't much to loose, I took the back of the watch myself, and I can see that the bearing housing for the weight has broken. This is what is making the noise.

My Question : Can I remove the weight and capacitor and put a battery in so that it becomes a 'normal' battery watch ?

Watch = 5J32_0AE0 battery = Panasonic MT920

Thanks
Meiko

Return to General Discussion