It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:09

2014 Not A Great Start For Me!

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

2014 Not A Great Start For Me!

Post01 Jan 2014, 22:27

I decided to take some timber to my allotment plot this morning ready to use it for making a gate with tomorrow, my plan when I got on the allotment site was to reverse along the grassy road that goes around the site, around the corner and park outside the entrance to my plot, which is only a couple of plots up, then unload the timber straight from the boot, which is standard practice for me when I have anything heavy or bulky to drop on site.......however things did not go quite to plan!

When reversing around the corner I misjudged where the edge of the road was and the rear drivers side wheel slipped off the road down an approximately six inch step into the freshly dug soil of the corner plot the sudden stop in momentum caused the drivers side front wheel to follow in the same direction and I ended up with the car half on the road and half on the corner plot. I wasn't to worried at this stage and even laughed at the situation, it can't be that bad, I hadn't been going fast, I'll just stick some wood under the wheels and drive straight back onto the road, hmmm nice plan - pity it didn't work! I tried going forwards, then backwards, then rocking to and fro, more timber under the wheels but the only result was I got more me more stuck with the wheels dug in deeper and deeper. At this stage I started to worry, I could no longer open or close the drivers side door it was too close to the ground because of the angle that the car was leaning at and because of how far the wheels had sank into the soil and when viewed from the outside the car had moved further off the road onto the soft soil of the corner plot! Oh poop! I had no choice but to call for assistance, so ten minutes later my son arrives at the scene, his first action? Yes or course take a photo to put on facebook!!! Did I laugh, did I heck, I was fatigued from all the digging, it was hammering it down with rain, I was soaked to the skin, covered in mud the car was covered in mud inside and out, perched at a precarious angle and stuck fast, (did I mention that the car is only 16 days old!) So I wasn't exactly in a laughing mood at that particular moment in time.

So he angles his car at the back of mine and attaches a lightweight tow rope (which is all we have) so here we go he pulls, I reverse, success? No - the tow rope breaks and we don't have a spare, time for the next phone call, bring on Chris the brother in law. Chris arrives says something to the effects of OMG how did you manage to put that there! By this time I am beyond even feeling embarrassment for my actions, I just want to retreat to my shed and put the towel over my head and wish for it to all go away! We fit a more substantial towing rope and after a couple of attempts........ I am out and back on the road. Yeh at last!

I survey the scene, there is a huge hole which we have just pulled the car out of, it must be four feet deep! I have also took out a few Brussel Sprout plants, gorged four deep track marks and scattered bits of wood every where! What a state! So before leaving I tidy up the mess that I have made, picking up all the wood and filling in the holes and ruts. To be fair it doesn't look too bad and thankfully apart from a few skid marks on the edges you would hardly be able to see that I had ever been there.

I have since phoned the plot holder and apologised to her, washed the car inside and out and thankfully no lasting damage appears to have been done - apart from the damage to my pride that is!

I have now learned the hard way that I need to be more careful when reversing and that the rear reversing/parking camera gives a different perspective to the one that I am used to with regard to the location of the back end of the car.

I hope things pick up for the rest of the year!

charger105

Guru

Guru

Re: 2014 Not A Great Start For Me!

Post02 Jan 2014, 01:43

I'm sure your year will pick up when the GP casquette arrives !
Where are these photos you're teasing us with ?
Rgds.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post02 Jan 2014, 01:47

charger105 wrote:I'm sure your year will pick up when the GP casquette arrives !
Where are these photos you're teasing us with ?
Rgds.

Here.....viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6908&p=44356#p44356 ;-)

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post02 Jan 2014, 03:06

Oops, didn't know the GP had already arrived. Looks awesome !
The pictures I was talking about were the ones of you and your brand new car covered in mud :-D

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post02 Jan 2014, 10:22

I am hoping to get the photos from my son and upload them to the forum, now that I have got over the shock I am curious to know how bad it looks for myself.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post02 Jan 2014, 17:37

It doesn't actually look too bad from the photo's, it might of given a better reflection if it had been photographed from another angle but my angry rant must of convinced him to put the camera away.

Car Ooops 2.jpg

Car Ooops 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post03 Jan 2014, 15:44

Happy New Year (Not so) Mick Just 2 things..
1, Never trust new tech till proven.
2, YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG CAR. (Clarkson style)

Now if you had bought my Jag you would have never have got into that position. :nikolaus:

Hope it gets good for us all this year. :Prost:
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL Pete
:dwf:
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post03 Jan 2014, 17:01

Especially the 2nd photo looks like one of those offroad advertisings :grin1:

My wife and me are planning for a trip to the UK this year. Two questions: Do you have paved roads as well and if yes, is your weather always as shitty as in Germany? ~:(

I have some experience in left-side-of-road driving from when I was in South Africa and just had two nearly-accidents. So generally speaking I feel ready for UK - driving :no:

However I won´t take a rental with the steering wheel on the wrong side again as I always opened the wrong door and used the wiper when turning. Stupid, eeh?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 Jan 2014, 10:30

Thanks for the tips 'Jagmad' - I don't think it would be a good idea for me to purchase your car, if this is what I can do in a 'grandad' car just think of the damage I would do in a Jag! ~:(

SASM wrote:Especially the 2nd photo looks like one of those offroad advertisings :grin1:
My wife and me are planning for a trip to the UK this year. Two questions: Do you have paved roads as well and if yes, is your weather always as shitty as in Germany? ~:(
I have some experience in left-side-of-road driving from when I was in South Africa and just had two nearly-accidents. So generally speaking I feel ready for UK - driving :no:
However I won´t take a rental with the steering wheel on the wrong side again as I always opened the wrong door and used the wiper when turning. Stupid, eeh?

1. I can confirm that we do have some paved roads, we pave them so we can continuously dig them back up and cause traffic jams to annoy motorist, our new ploy seems to be to just lay out the cones, install traffic lights and block off roads without actually doing any work to the road itself.
2. And yes the weather is always shitty :grin1:

You should be OK when driving on the 'correct' side of the road ( ;-) ) the speed camera's that are placed every twenty metres will help to guide you.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post04 Jan 2014, 11:55

nice description of our roads aswell :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Return to General Discussion