It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:40

Automatic customs charges.

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Re: Automatic customs charges.

Post01 Feb 2014, 02:53

Timecollector wrote:It sure sounds like you guys are talking about the option: Global Shipping Program in the US. Every auction I have used and sold internationally, I "Uncheck" that box and select my own intl shipping options. My sold items have gone directly from my home to theirs with no middle man involved. This Global Shipping Program sounds like it is making abit of a mess with Intl shipping. I won't use them and have shipped several intl items that only took 2-3 days without issue via FEDEX Priority INTL. My buyers have never mentioned any taxes or fees to me after the fact. It sounds that EBay is making it alot more complicated for some intl buyers but have made it simple for US sellers not wanting to mess with INTl shipping options themselves. I won't use that service. It sounds like the more fingers involved in shipping the worse the experience. IMHO

Here is what the Glodal Shipping option states on their link:

Caption from the Optional Global shipping Program:

•Ship the item to the US shipping center immediately—within 24 hours of cleared payment.
•To expedite customs processing at the US shipping center, include the country of origin (if you weren’t able to provide it at the time of listing) and order reference number on the inside of the package (if the order number is not on the label).
•Ship all the items in an order in one package. Package multiple orders (either belonging to the same buyer or different buyers) in separate boxes, each with its own tracking number.
•Use a box that’s just slightly larger than your item. Use enough bubble wrap, raffia, peanuts, foam, or paper all around the item so that the item doesn’t shift when the box is moved.
•Tape the opening of the box and reinforce all seams.
•Use clear or brown packaging tape, reinforced packing tape, or paper tape that is at least 2 inches wide. Don’t use masking tape, cellophane tape, cord, string, or twine—it’s not strong enough.
•If you’re reusing a box, cover any previous labels or cross out any old and unnecessary information with a thick black marker.

•Or just don't bother because they will just unpack it throw away all the protection, chuck it in a box far to big for it, so it gets damaged in transit.
•If your really fortunate they may forward it to the correct address.
•We'll charge your customer extra for the privilege.
:rtfm:
Don't use the Global shipping program. :-P
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post02 Feb 2014, 02:36

jagmad wrote:•Or just don't bother because they will just unpack it throw away all the protection, chuck it in a box far to big for it, so it gets damaged in transit.

Isn't that what my comments at the top of my post indicated? I DON'T use that service? :scratch:

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post02 Feb 2014, 05:05

Timecollector wrote:
jagmad wrote:•Or just don't bother because they will just unpack it throw away all the protection, chuck it in a box far to big for it, so it gets damaged in transit.

Isn't that what my comments at the top of my post indicated? I DON'T use that service? :scratch:

It wasn't directed at you. It was mainly directed at ebay or the ones who wrote the link you posted.
Also the ones who are checking this thread out
when we direct the people here who sell the products we want to buy, but won't because they use the oh so
brilliant (not) Global Shitting program.
The only problem is because you have to be a member to read this thread most of it is gonna fall on stoney ground again. :roll:
;-)
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post02 Feb 2014, 15:27

Agreed. That service seems to have to many issues and is not advantage to anybody (except ebay). Its a bad program.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post02 Feb 2014, 18:11

Timecollector wrote:Agreed. That service seems to have to many issues and is not advantage to anybody (except ebay). Its a bad program.

Yep. ~:(
So on the grounds that this thread is not generally visible to the G P, do the powers that be think that it might be a good idea to move to it say. :scratch:
General discussion may be? Come on guys lets get on the "remove the global shipping program" crusade.
That's if no one has a good reason not to..... :Prost:
:dwf:

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post09 Feb 2014, 22:22

Just so everyone knows, so far I've sent two eBay sellers here and both have removed the items from the G S P.
It works. ddd. :grin1:

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Feb 2014, 01:26

Since this idiotic postage system was inserted I do two things:

1. I make an offer to the seller, explain them how this new 'easy' option -for sellers- is scaring buyers outside (-the USA-) their continent away. This, because out of the 100+ purchases I made from the USA past year, posted USPS first class international, I only paid import taxes three times.
If their eyes got opened I often make a purchase (after they changed their postage options), or

2. I simply skip the listing as 'not interesting anymore' without even contacting the seller (which happens often, with watches for parts or repair)

Ebay S U C K S, when they implement features like this
(or like the 'make offer Beta', where buyers make an offer, you agree, and they get two days to think their purchase over, resulting in a 50% selling drop on 'Buy Now'. ETC ETC ETC)
Meanwhile I stick to Ebay, because of their superior status.
The moment a more affordable alternative with the same worldwide coverage emerges, im out.
Last edited by elceedee on 27 Feb 2014, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post27 Feb 2014, 02:03

Hi all just received this from an Ebay seller. They've kindly agreed for me to post it here.
"the names have been removed to protect the innocent" :lol:

Thank you Pete for the words of wisdom. I used to be a powerseller and took about 6 months off, just started back up with the selling a little over a month ago and this whole global shipping program is still kinda new to me. So far I have had 3 successful shipments but then one item arrived broken recently and I know I packed it super good! The customer put in a claim with german ebay (and I can tell you in 17 years selling on ebay I can count the number of paypal claims I have had made against me on one hand) and I am telling you it was a nightmare just to try to send the guy some money back! Super complicated process, took days and phone calls to ebay and paypal just to figure out how to do a partial refund properly and follow all the 'guidelines' and I'm telling you neither ebay or paypal knew how to handle a simple partial refund! In the end I figured it out on my own. Luckily the customer on other end of the transaction was very understanding and patient with the process. I ended up taking a huge loss on the transaction so I am not real pleased with the GSP so far and I hate to say it but I am seriously considering switching to US domestic shipping only.
Thanks again for your input and your interest in my item.
kind regards,

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post27 Feb 2014, 16:50

Have they changed the threshold for import duties on imports to the uk? I'm sure it used to be £18 or under didn't incur duties, but I've noticed with this global shipping they're adding like $12 for customs charges on an item that's like £14 or so :-?

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Feb 2014, 18:37

Lifted this off the HMRC website- remember you will have to add the Post Office's £12 clearance charge if they decide to try and collect import duties/VAT

Goods Value* Customs Charges applicable

£0.01 to £15 ■No customs duty ■No Import VAT**

£15.01 to £135 ■No customs duty ■Import VAT due

£135.01 and greater ■Customs duty due, but waived if the amount calculated due is less than £9
■Import VAT due

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post27 Feb 2014, 20:05

So from that it appears eBays wonderful shipping program is adding extra for import VAT where it's not even due :bang:

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post27 Feb 2014, 21:04

Well who would have thought it eh. :roll:
Ebay introduce another money making racket under the guise of
making it easier for the seller, then not allowing them to back out,
unless they jump through hoops of fire, while on a high wire,
doing hand stands, on a cycle,
Ebay #lets keep it hidden/difficult/expensive.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post01 Mar 2014, 04:32

So, to summarise the downside of Ebay's Global Shipping Program:

1. Shipping charges are radically increased. For something that used to cost at most $20, you can now expect to pay $50 or $60. The seller is not even aware of this, since they only see about $10 to ship domestically to Pitney Bowes. Customs/VAT/GST is additionally charged at checkout, but this shouldn't be confused with the radical shipping charge increases.

2. Pitney Bowes re-package the item to minimise their own costs. Typically this is done very poorly with many examples of goods being damaged in transit.

3. Import Duty and VAT/GST is often charged for items where it is not even due.

Please add to this list if I've forgotten anything. It'd be good to have a simple, succinct list so that if we direct a seller to this thread, they don't have to trawl through the whole thing.
Rgds.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post01 Mar 2014, 16:35

The re-packaging point should be enough to make any seller run a mile, after all it will be them who have to deal with the claim/neg feedback.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post03 Mar 2014, 00:02

They don't all need the global shipping fiasco for ott shipping costs..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Seiko ... 43c6457e7d

"Cost of shipping will vary according to location. I charge you exactly what I pay for shipping to your address and there may be a $5.00 handling fee to cover additional packing, handling, etc, depending on the size of the item, unless specifically noted otherwise"

$144.80 for shipping to UK, I think he needs to find alternative shipping methods :scratch:

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Mar 2014, 00:30

I still simply cant believe these new 'handy' shipping methods for US citizens.. incredible. Stripping the ignorant US sellers simply for eBays' own gain. Stripping them , because half of the potential buyers outside the states (especially in global niche markets, like ours) leave these sellers aside. Meanwhile eBay is advertising more efficiency by using this idiotic initiative.
I guess its a matter of time before most of the users of this postage method understand they are being played with.
Let us be patient and hope eBay doesn't come up with more 'efficient' (read: money making-) initiatives like this one and some others.
I use eBay simply because of its dominant global coverage, meanwhile I piss on this organization. And I am pretty sure I don't stand alone in this.
Excessive fees both on eBay itself as in its company Paypal (using rates of exchange which are far from accurate, in their own favor)
I will stop here.. but I can go on..
I am a pretty relaxed person in daily life. But I have felt robbed for more then two years now by eBay and Paypal, changing their Terms and Conditions, changing their fees (for example: fees on postage costs) etc etc etc etc. Which makes me feel furious and powerless in the same time.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post03 Mar 2014, 16:50

seicitizitch wrote:I still simply cant believe these new 'handy' shipping methods for US citizens.. incredible. Stripping the ignorant US sellers simply for eBays' own gain. Stripping them , because half of the potential buyers outside the states (especially in global niche markets, like ours) leave these sellers aside. Meanwhile eBay is advertising more efficiency by using this idiotic initiative.
I guess its a matter of time before most of the users of this postage method understand they are being played with.
Let us be patient and hope eBay doesn't come up with more 'efficient' (read: money making-) initiatives like this one and some others.
I use eBay simply because of its dominant global coverage, meanwhile I piss on this organization. And I am pretty sure I don't stand alone in this.
Excessive fees both on eBay itself as in its company Paypal (using rates of exchange which are far from accurate, in their own favor)
I will stop here.. but I can go on..
I am a pretty relaxed person in daily life. But I have felt robbed for more then two years now by eBay and Paypal, changing their Terms and Conditions, changing their fees (for example: fees on postage costs) etc etc etc etc. Which makes me feel furious and powerless in the same time.

Hi just out of interest. Would I be better when paying in a different currency
to use the other exchange options? :call:

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post16 Oct 2014, 21:34

Hey Guy's N Gals, look what I received from Ebay today by Email

YOU’LL SOON BE ENROLLED INTO
THE GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME

We’re pleased to let you know that your account will soon be enrolled into the Global Shipping Programme.
It’s an easy way to reach millions more buyers with minimal changes to your current processes.
The Programme is for sellers who don’t currently offer international postage on listings.
Key points for sellers

• Reach more buyers outside of the UK

• International buyers automatically see a postage cost to their country on your listings

• Simply post the item to the UK address we provide and we’ll take care of the rest.
HOW IT WORKS

• Within the next 6 weeks you’ll receive an email confirming when your account has been automatically enrolled into the Global Shipping Programme.
This notification will be sent to the registered email address on your eBay account.

"AND WITHIN THE FOLLOWING 24 HOURS I'LL BE GOING HERE"

To opt out of the Global Shipping Programme at an account level:
Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences.
Click the Show link to the right of the Postage Preferences section.
Click the Edit link to the right of Offer the Global Shipping Programme.
Click Opt Out.
Review the information. If you still wish to opt out, click Continue to opt out
. :ha:

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Oct 2014, 22:50

My god I hope that beside the professional sellers also the occasional seller will be wise enough to not accept this crap

Its about time ebay loses its monopoly. I hope Alibabba will enrole to the west soon as cheaper alternative.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post17 Oct 2014, 01:19

Your so right :roll:
:scratch:
Maybe it's Ebay's way of looking clean with the various world customs/authorities.
While making some extra dosh... :pimp:

It's so got a lot in common with Ebola.
For one. It's spreading to places it should never have been allowed to.
There's sod all we an do about it.
I think I made some comment earlier in this thread calling it the global Shitting program.
Well we're all shitting it now,
:ironie:

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post18 Oct 2014, 00:47

I too got this email the other day, and will be opting out as soon as they've forced me to opt in. What a lot of sellers won't realise is that in the event of a deal going bad ebay will only pay the original extra shipping cost if a buyer wants to return an item, they won't pay the cost of returning the item, so a seller who never wanted to ship overseas in the first place will get stung with paying the buyers return shipping costs from whatever country they ship back from, and not only that on a high cost item they will probably get stung with a hefty import VAT charge too!

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post18 Oct 2014, 00:51

Oh and notice how they cleverly only informed us via email, not through the ebay message service, I (probably like many others) rarely check the email which is linked to my ebay account as everything I need to know is on eBay, it was only by chance I happened to be logged into it as I was looking for something else. So a lot of sellers who never wished to sell abroad, mainly because of the hassles mentioned above, will now unwittingly be doing so.

Okay rant over now :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion