It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:05

RE: Retroleds & me, Ed Cantarella

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

RE: Retroleds & me, Ed Cantarella

Post19 Jan 2016, 20:02

I really hate doing this - which is why it's taken so long.

I'm guessing there has been an ungodly number of people coming here and complaining about my business and that I have their watch for repair, etc. for last 6 months or so.
Deal is I have had 2 different health issues, another friggin death in my immediate family(mercifully it was the life-long deadbeat brother. RIP but IDK. He was a horrible dude, should have been in prison or insane asylum decades ago.) Anyway....

Last week I returned over $6k that was sitting in Paypal. Ireally could have used the money but I couldn't find the strength or whatever to load them with batteries, set, check for function and ship. I know - is that really that much work, I thought you were a big healthy #$%^?! I usually am - will be again in a few months hopefully. But not right now.

I also have 12-13 repairs just sitting in boxes - I feel like such an @sshole. IF you know any of those people PLEASE re-assure them that I am not dying and I am hoping to look at their piece SOON. IF it's light-weight work or module swapping I will do so. If it's heavy-lifting I will return at my expense, insured with some kind of note and suggestions on whom to try next. I have no idea because I haven't stayed in touch with this community. For a variety of reasons - first and foremost because I love fixing the watches and love all the involved "tech". I'm good at that shit. But I'm not a collector type and really don't like any jewelry against my skin. Which has always been good news for you chaps. Just imagine if I really wanted them for myself? :twisted: *You guys need a "Screaming in horror icon". Just sayin :mrgreen:

So, the plan is when I feel up to it I will assemble watches at MY speed - never again for the public. A gent named Kevin in New York drove the final nail home on that - 23 emails in one weekend. 482 =/1 in one month. All so I can sell him one, $500 P2 or similar a month. What is my time worth in his head? 5 cents an hour?!{face palm icon}
Then . . .
As I assemble them I will hand them to my lovely wife so she can really put her expensive camera and MY photo tent to use. I will give her a description and she will sell on ebay.Only.

I give on client contact. Old-timers here know how badly I suck at user management. I run a music forum and the mod team handles ALL of that %$#@ and gives errant members their bad news through and anonymous account. So the members don't pinpoint some poor Mod just doing their job.(more face palm icons} Best idea someone else ever suggested to me. Other than moaybe to ^%$* off. :grin1: See, I'm not dying, I'm just sick.

I really feel bad about this, like I gave up on you folks or something. But I and Bruce Wegmann are still not sure(at least I am not), which of us last spoke to Rick "TicToc" Chandler. Some will remember what a great seller he was - he rolled out some nice stuff in his last days because he thought he wasn't going to survive some surgery. I spoke to him maybe 8-10 hours before and he was very gloomy. And he was right - snap. I'm not going to do that to you guys OR my lovely wife. I am going to start selling all my watch stuff off NOW. Just in case. (Come on, I'm only 56 and the drs say I am fine - little more weight lose and other treatment and I'll be good as new).

In similar vein I had an odd contact with the original forum founder, or at least of it's prior URL dwf.nu, "Tor Kinlok". I hope he is ok. Not going to discuss it here - maybe Mic Buxtom could contact me through the PM system.

My www.thedigitalwatch.com site and a bunch more content along with www.ledwatches.net are both for sale in a package. I have greatly developed my skillz in the years since selling this site and could even do some work so it is all closer to the next owner's desire, since I am the most familiar with the entire setup. Contact me through the PM system if interest. Figure I paid $2k for each but I am being realistic of the current market realities and understand my testicles WILL be crushed if I sell. Whatever - so was a lumbar disc.

Probably not going to come back and look at this thread - too many people hate me here, some for good reasons, some maybe not.

But I wish ALL of you well. really.

If I am in possession of a watch you suspect I have and you wish I would get it out of the safe . . . contact me and ask. I will come here more often and check my PMs.
If you were bidding on a watch on ebay in last 10-12 months and wondered if it was me - naha, wasn't.

Think that's about it. Again, my apologies on any confusion or anguish stemming from my extremely poor performance as of late with my business. I'm still honest and ALL will be made as right as I can.

Peace,

Ed Cantarella
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: RE: Retroleds & me, Ed Cantarella

Post19 Jan 2016, 21:57

Sorry to hear about your health related issues Ed, I hope you bounce back to good health very quickly and I would like to wish you a speedy recovery.

A lot of water has gone under the bridge since you last visited the DWF so whatever reason you think people might have to cause them to hate you (OK I can think of a few ;-) ) it is all history now - or it should be as far as I am concerned.

Good luck Ed

Mick

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post20 Jan 2016, 17:27

Thanks Mic - you were always gractious as hell. A real gent for a coal miner. You are the Tom Jones(he was a coal miner too I believe) of digital watches. Sharper dresser with a good eye for bling. :-D

Just say,"It's not unusual". Brilliant.

YOu know, I feel so much better for just "outing" myself on this crap. I'll get to it l!! See, my spirit isn't dead - just hanging close to the bed. Sucks!

Cheers, :Prost:

Ed
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post21 Jan 2016, 02:20

bucko170 wrote:Sorry to hear about your health related issues Ed, I hope you bounce back to good health very quickly and I would like to wish you a speedy recovery.

A lot of water has gone under the bridge since you last visited the DWF so whatever reason you think people might have to cause them to hate you (OK I can think of a few ;-) ) it is all history now - or it should be as far as I am concerned.

Good luck Ed

Mick

+1
Get well soon dude. :Prost:

As I have said on here just recently, one should never jump to conclusions about
why correspondence has ceased or slowed down.
Having said that I think we've all been conned at some time or another, by some
good for nothing ass wipe. There's one still selling on T'bay that might just end
up with a knuckle sandwich when he answers the door. Should I ever wind up in
his neck of the woods. ;-)

Keep us posted with your progress and don't be a stranger. :bye: :bye:

Ps. Perhaps one of these would help from one of my previous post's, 4th from top, not the one's on the bikes. M:)W:)M
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=2828&p=51123#p51123
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post21 Jan 2016, 19:52

retroleds wrote:.....

Probably not going to come back and look at this thread - too many people hate me here, some for good reasons, some maybe not.

Ed Cantarella

.......Yes those with good reasons do deserve an apology Ed!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post27 May 2016, 20:14

bucko170 wrote:
retroleds wrote:.....

Ed Cantarella

.......Yes those with good reasons do deserve an apology Ed!
If I knew who, I might try. Seriously. I understand I said something terrible whilst feeling provoked - I did apologize to a few people privately. I apologize publically to any offended by that terrible outburst. I'll go wander the halls of newdwf now . . .

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 May 2016, 06:05

Ed, good to see you back. Peter :-D

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2016, 10:18

Dear Ed, at first i honestly wish you all the best and hope that your health is fine.

I really respect you as a great tinkerer and watch guru.

However with the ebay sale of that gold/silver wittnauer I am a bit disappointed. If you sell it as "mint" and write "only slightest signs of wear" it is disappointing to get a watch with a heavily scratched bezel and metal polish dripping out of all links. And that YOU as an expert did not notice that botched removed engraving (Someone just took a dremel and carelessly drilled all over it) is hard to believe.

What however disappointed me most was your lack of action and communication. You know at poker it is already a bad idea to just "sit out", but at ebay you just make customers furious with that. When i clicked "I would like a refund" and you just "sat out" until the deadline by the ebay customer service was reached i could have believed you that it's just that ebay changed the system and it's all complicated and stuff. But afterwards you did not react to the message from ebay service to confirm that you received the watch back and again "sat out" until all deadlines were over without reacting. I bet if i had put an old sandwich instead of the watch in the parcel you would have reacted immediately... :roll:

In the end i just lost like 15 bucks for sending back the watch, it's all forgiven and good. But you got yourself a "strike" from ebay and really lost a customer. Just please be more honest in the description. Someone who can do micro soldering sure doesn't lack the good eyesight to notice a scratched bezel or removed engraving. You just ruin your good reputation acting like that. At least put up some clear pictures that show all flaws. I have seen a bad feedback in your ebay rating with a guy being like "BEWARE - Whatever isn't pictured are the parts not revealing sustantial damage!" and i thought it must have been a nitpicker having a bad day, but now i see that comment with different eyes. Just try to improve your ebay descriptions a bit, please.

Return to General Discussion