It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 06:57

New member alert!

Upload all your digital watch pictures
  • Author

redvolvo

New member alert!

Post02 Oct 2008, 23:03

Hello all. I'm having "beginners" difficulties with (what will probably be) basics :oops: Hoping for help :idea: Can I be pointed to a 70's comprehensive replacement battery guide, with relevant updated stock numbers (?) please. Also hoping for Scottish contacts who are able & willing to test/repair modules. I ask this in advance, presuming I'm going to purchase some "dead-leds" along the way (you know what I mean-the ones that are advertised as: "Just needing a battery, but I ain't had the time to fit..." ). This is my first ever post, so I hope I've got it half right at least!

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

: New member alert!

Post03 Oct 2008, 01:23

Hello and welcome to the forum, its always good to see another Scottish LED enthusiast there are a couple of members from Scotland here
I’am sure they’ll be along to say hello too.

As for your battery question I’ll have to leave that one to a more knowledgeable member I’am afraid, and for repairs etc I can
help with things like quartz crystal replacements but anything more involved I’ll leave to others, basically I don’t want to destroy
someone’s module, I know I wouldn’t like it.

Interesting you mention “you know what I mean-the ones that are advertised as: "Just needing a battery, but I ain't had the time to fit”
to me this reads “I’ve tried new batteries and its dead” still you never know what you’ll get until it arrives.

Good luck with your LED watch quest and please post a few pictures of your watches for us all to see... :-D

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Oct 2008, 20:55

Hey Red, nice to see you joined so quickly.

Klippie - one of the watches he's got was one of mine - I've met RV when I sold a watch to him last week - this man has the bug baaaaaaad!

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post03 Oct 2008, 21:04

I've met RV when I sold a watch to him last week

So does he have a red volvo then... ;-)

redvolvo

Post03 Oct 2008, 23:01

Just got in, opened up my latest buy, & WOW, a cracking little Compuchron with a flawless finish. Havin time on the forum is great; just reading & looking at all the watches. I read the feedback to my opening question, well cool. Yes, I have a red volvo; had it 9 years & wouldn't swap it for ANYTHING (erm, maybe a gold-fill '74 Pulsar): only jokin :lol: If I can get info on the battery quest I'll be indebted to whoever... I'll get my watches posted, but be warned, there's not much to sing about just yet :oops: . Pick of the collection so far is a Wittnauer (yep, THAT Wittnauer ;-) ).

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post04 Oct 2008, 01:44

Red,

I remembered buying silver oxide batteries from "Cheaper Batteries" a while back and they had a battery cross reference chart.

Click here - http://www.cheaperbatteries.co.uk/index.asp?function=WEBPAGE&page=3

They sell on Ebay -http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Cheaper-Batteries

Hope this helps... :-D

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 Oct 2008, 12:22

A table showing a wide range of different batteries sizes with size names and other details.
http://toclear.com/batts.html

One from maxell
http://maxell-usa.com/getpdf.aspx?id=34&type=support

Or more generalized
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

I have found that a good percentage of vintage LED watches use LR44 or LR43 batteries (or equivalent sizes) so a good supply of those may come in handy for you. They are plentiful on ebay, I use Maxell ones as I think they offer a more reliable quality. I wouldn't recommend Eastern imports I have tried them, some have been ok but some have been dodgy and its just not worth the risk IMO.

redvolvo

Post04 Oct 2008, 21:14

Thank you all for the helpfull info. I went down to the local shopping centre today & a sweet girl with a mask on took £12.98 off me for putting 2 batteries in a watch that cost me £11.70 on eBay!! (I presume she has a good mark-up percentage on her cells!!!). I'll get onto the sites given, thanks again.. I got a Majestyk II through today, what do you guys think about them please? I think their chunky & cool in a "2006"/1970's kinda way :-D. Do they use all the conventional workings of the originals as is claimed? I'll try to get my watch pics on asap (is it a tricky procedure?). Am I allowed to discuss watch seller who ply their trade & wares on eBay on this forum? It's just that I'm looking for some advice if possible. Thanks.....

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post05 Oct 2008, 14:43

Welcome, redvolvo
As for batteries: don't worry too much. For vintage LED watches, any 1.5V battery that fits will do. Correct polarity could be a problem, but usually it's marked unmistakeably on the module. Get yourself a cheap alkaline button cell set via internet (local stores usually charge 3-5 times more...).

Measure the battery compartment and find out which size you need with the aid of the links bucko170 posted above (click here). Or simply try with your cheap battery set. Or post a picture of the module here and someone will tell you :-)

Once you found out the correct size, and that the module actually works (if it doesn't work, thy another battery of same size), you can switch over to Silver Oxide cells of same size (e.g. LR44/AG13 -> SR44W/V357) if you want to wear the watch. They have much better discharge characteristics and thus give you constant LED brightness over the whole battery life. If you have the choice, use the "high drain" variety (KOH electrolyte). Search the forum for "battery silver oxide".

AFAIK, there is no comprehensive battery guide covering multiple LED watch brands.

redvolvo

Post06 Oct 2008, 23:09

Thank you one & all for the battery info. I'm equiped now & ready to test with the best!!!!!!!!

Return to NEWDWF User Gallery