It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:57

Looking for P2 and advice

• Author

jametaylor

Looking for P2 and advice

Post02 Sep 2014, 00:55

Hi,

I am currently looking for a p2 Tiffany and co for wearing and enjoying purposes and not collecting and would really value some advice and wisdom. So before I ignorantly enter a bidding war on ebay on working version or try and buy and non functional one and look to get a PLT-1 replacement unit can you please tell me what i don't know, cause i am sure there is much i am unaware of; both risks and opportunities...

Thanks in advance for your advice.

James

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Looking for P2 and advice

Post02 Sep 2014, 14:42

Hi James and welcome to the forum.

I'd say the first issue you have here is that Tiffany P2's don't come up for sale very often so it's going to take a little patience.

When one does turn up you need to be sure it's a genuine Tiffany glass on the watch (there were some fakes about a few years back - simple way to test for these is does the logo disappear when you clean the glass with rubbing alcohol).

Some other things to look out for:

1) Is the magnet in the clasp.

2) Does it have a P2 caseback? (there are a lot of watches out there made up from bits and bobs and it sometimes happens that a P2 will have a hamilton or P3 caseback - this doesn't effect functionality but can effect the value of the watch).

3) Has the retaining ring for the caseback been cross threaded? (a real pain)

4) Is the bracelet long enough? (it's not difficult to source extra links but people generally know what to charge).

5) If you buy a working one check that the display is big, bright and that the numbers are made up of small dots. Check pictures of genuine working P2's to see how they should look - this way you won't pay too much for a watch with a frankenstein module in it.

Hope this helps and good luck in finding one.

jametaylor

Post12 Sep 2014, 09:08

Thanks very much for your sage like advice. All of that is news to so greatly appreciated.

I am also keen to get people views on the PLT-1 replacement unit. I am sure replacing the original parts will be seen by some as sacrilege but as a "would be" wearer with budget i am prepared to consider this option unless told otherwise.

Has anyone seen/used one and has a view.

Thanks again for your help here
James

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post12 Sep 2014, 09:24

jametaylor wrote:.. ... ... I am keen to get people views on the PLT-1 replacement unit. I am sure replacing the original parts will be seen by some as sacrilege but as a "would be" wearer with budget i am prepared to consider this option unless told otherwise.
Has anyone seen/used one and has a view.
Thanks again for your help here
James

Not sure on the PLT-1 replacements but many of the forum members are happily using SASM modules from Hanno the DWF's administrator, see here for details http://www.strikesandspares.de/com/newmodule.htm

jdavid

Post12 Sep 2014, 13:22

Hi James I have a plt 1 in my Hamilton and it works brilliantly, the service from Ben is also excellent.
Cheer's Dave.

Brightlightredlight

Geek

Geek

Post15 Sep 2014, 23:12

There is one on e-bay now, #191325471112. Looks like it works. Nice crystal. Hope this helps.

jametaylor

Post19 Sep 2014, 09:36

Thanks for the heads up. I live in Australia so searches tend to exclude people that don't post here. Which is shame because there are always other postage options to facilitate cross boarder postage issues.

Thanks again

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton