Pulsar P3L 2.0

• Author

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Pulsar P3L 2.0

Post25 Feb 2015, 08:34

Hi.

I thought I'd share a few impressions of an unusual little Pulsar - the P3L. After being "out-pigeon'ed" on the last one (viewtopic.php?f=79&t=7093), I finally snagged one, which arrived today.

As most of you know, the P3L was developed as a smaller sized men's watch for the Asian market by combining the case of a ladies P4 cushion with a specially made men's solid link bracelet. Actually, only the first links connecting to the case are special as the remaining links and clasp are the same as those used on the P4 Executive. The solid bracelet gives it a rather different feel on the wrist than most other Pulsars - the bracelet feels substantial even though you hardly feel the weight of the watch. It's rather comfortable, actually. My wife tried it on and said that she preferred the solid smooth feel of the solid link bracelet to her ladies Pulsars - I may have to arm wrestle her to wear it.

There seems to be a preconception that this model is super ultra rare - perhaps due to some verbage on the Old Pulsars web site that reads "This model is so rare that only two watches are known to exist" (http://www.oldpulsars.com/P3L.htm). Given the fact that I've seen two go by on eBay within about a year, I'm sure that they are quite a bit more common than that - they probably go unnoticed since they look so similar to the ladies P4 cushion model. The case and case back appear identical to the ladies P4 cushion, within the normal manufacturing deviations.

One peculiar thing about this P3L - it seems to have a ladies 104 module rather than a men's dress module. Not sure what's up with that. Otherwise, it seems as expected - works perfectly and fits my unfortunately large 8" wrists. It looks smaller in person than it does in the photographs below. I can't really tell if it looks out of place on a rather largish person (me). I like it even if it does. Not a bad catch for $50. (item #271777676162).

Cheers,

-abe.

Pulsar P3L:
DSC_4090 (900x600).jpg

Pulsar P3L(left) compared to a Pulsar Ladies P4 (right):
DSC_4155 (900x600).jpg

Pulsar P3L (left) compared to a Pulsar Ladies P4 (right):
DSC_4133 (900x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Pulsar P3L 2.0

Post25 Feb 2015, 11:05

I assume for every variation ,new model, upgrade, there would have been a meeting . And someone would have recorded on paper who attended, what was discussed, what was decided and why. I'd rather have got my hands on that paperwork than any watch.Lost forever that info

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post25 Feb 2015, 22:08

Both of mine have the "correct" 101 magnet-set Dress modules. One, I picked up by accident at an NAWCC regional show (about ten years ago, when I was still in my collecting infancy). At the time, I thought it was odd that a ladies' watch would have a men's module in it, but I knew that, to do repairs, a lot of mixing-and-matching of modules had been done, so didn't attach any particular significance to it (after all, it had a good, working Dress module in it!). Only later, when I saw pics of the P3L, did I realize what I had. I agree, a lot of these are still unrecognized, labeled as Ladies models. On the other hand, it was a rather limited experiment, which was a complete failure (much like the 3211 Executive), so is not what I'd call a common watch...say, very scarce, perhaps on a similar level to the Ladies Sport model. I imagine that, if this was a men's model, it would sell for many times what it usually does.
It's just possible that this watch went back to the factory (or a well-stocked jeweler) for repairs, and, being mistaken for a ladies model, had a ladies module installed; I doubt it originally left the factory in this configuration.

cte

Techie

Techie

Post25 Feb 2015, 22:53

I like the look of it a lot and at $50 it's just stunning. Any chance of an on the wrist picture? :pics:

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post26 Feb 2015, 10:05

Interesting read..thx Abe...great pics as always :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Feb 2015, 00:10

cte,

Here are a few shots to show scale - one in comparison with a P3 & P4 and one wrist shot as requested.

Cheers,

-abe.

Men's Pulsar models: P4 Exec (left), P3L (middle), and P3 (right)
DSC_4167 (900x600).jpg

The P3L on an 8" wrist:
DSC_4171 (900x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cte

Techie

Techie

Post27 Feb 2015, 13:38

I love it. :-D thank you for the shots.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton