It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 20:39

sport 3502 display problem

• Author

davefinic

Nerd

Nerd

sport 3502 display problem

Post10 Jun 2006, 12:29

could anyone please help I wore my sport 3502 yesterday when I put it on I checked the time (still the most accurate of my LED's) and all was fine later in the day when I tried to get the time I got no display but the top button for date display still worked fine and also the setting mode still works. Im hoping this is nothing too serious but thought I would ask for some advise before tinkering and causing more damage.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Re: sport 3502 display problem

Post10 Jun 2006, 16:14

Dave,

This is probably just a dirty switch. Take a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and clean around the switch--the round contact point and the groove around it.

davefinic

Nerd

Nerd

Post10 Jun 2006, 18:50

Thanks HDLED do you mean from the front of the watch or remove module and clean the back

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post11 Jun 2006, 01:51

The front of the watch. Don't become alarmed when the watch comes on and stays on. It will do that until you wipe the alcohol off with a paper towel. Just use a small amount of alcohol on the end of the q-tip and clean the button and groove around it. You may have to do that from time to time. I've had to do it with my watch.

davefinic

Nerd

Nerd

Post11 Jun 2006, 10:50

tried to clean as you suggested but still the same. it was not really dirty as this watch was NOS and ive only worn it a few times :(

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post11 Jun 2006, 22:08

Welcome Dave! Not being a super big Pulsar collector I had to go looking ...ok, you've got the capacitance buttons. Like all capacitance watches, the buttons need 100% electrical insulation from the case - otherwise, you get weird things that throw them into a fit, as if someone was holding the button down.

My suggestion(others here have used this to solve the "just washed my hands, won't shut off problem": STOP applying alcohol - it contains water :( .
Instead, dry the watch around the buttons gently with a hair dryer, or pop open and let it dry thoroughly in a cool, dry location for a few days(main compartment of a refrigerator is generally very dry, like a dehumidifier). Then spray some clear liquid silicone(like the stuff for preserving camp gear) into a small container until you have a small puddle, and dip some up with a paintbrush or cotton swab so you can apply it liberally to the button so it runs into the groove, and fills any voids or cracks in the insulator around the button - then tip over onto a tissue and drain off any excess and wipe the button well. On my personal watches I rubbed a small amount of clear silicone caulk into the groove afterward, and cleaned away all but a trace with a toothpick - watertight!!

The second problem area: where the button contacts the module on the inside - really a kind of weak link. Choices here are: (a)clean the button and the contact area and pray,(b)apply a little silver-bearing electrical grease to inner button tip,(c)bend the contact up a little to insure contact with the button - generally some combination of all three is in order. The only caveat to using the silver-bearing electrical grease, is that could melt and make a mess at higher temps....use very sparingly...the tiniest dot that can't really "migrate", should it get warm.

Let us know how it goes.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

davefinic

Nerd

Nerd

Post11 Jun 2006, 23:44

Thanks Little1up I thouhgt I would try out your advice but when i got my watch it was working again :D so I will make a note of these points in case i have any more problems. I dont see the point in opening up a 30 year old watch when im no expert just to play around, and i only wear the watch occasionaly so i dont worry that its going to let me down. Thanks again. I hope your collection is going well i would love to own some of the watches in your collection!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post12 Jun 2006, 04:21

Consider the light touch of liquid silicone to the buttons...leave it on for a few seconds when it is really dry, then wipe off all extra...it will help condition the insulator around the buttons and avoid future problems....maintenence of these babies could, IMO, keep them going for another hundred years, short of a battery barfing in them. :oops:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post15 Jun 2006, 12:14

I had the same problem with a ladies Pulsar but no repairs did help. I returned the case to Barbie9 and he sent me a new one. This was not long after buying the watch so I think he considered the swap as warranty.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton