STOP MODULE SWAPPING - IT CAN BE DONE!!

• Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

STOP MODULE SWAPPING - IT CAN BE DONE!!

Post19 Jan 2007, 19:04

Stop the swappers, maybe even get your stolen watch back someday and the criminals apprehended.

Read about it here.... http://www.retroleds.com/DataDots.htm :twisted:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

collector

Techie

Techie

Re: STOP MODULE SWAPPING - IT CAN BE DONE!!

Post19 Jan 2007, 22:40

Ed,

GREAT GREAT IDEA (see Ed's link) !!!!!

I personally stopped buying almost all vintage LED's because of bad experiences with sellers who said "the watch worked" but upon receiving the watch found problems with the modules. Naturally, there was the customary "no returns" disclaimer so I was stuck with with a piece of "garbage". I must say their are eBay sellers whom I never ever had a problem with, for example Jeff / AKA Majestyk and Mike / AKA Barbie9. But, there are other members of eBay whom I've bought from who do not / will not make my personal "Good Seller" list (they sell large #'s of LED watches - not just casual selling). I will leave them unidentified. PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME ABOUT READING A SELLERS EBAY FEEDBACK RECORD - EBAY'S FEEDBACK SYSTEM IS JUST ONE TOOL TO USE IN EVALUATING A SELLER AND I HAVE FOUND IT SOMEWHAT FLAWED - THE SELLERS WITH "PROBLEM ITEMS" NEVER LEAVE FEEDBACK FIRST, SO IF YOU DARE TO LEAVE A NEGATIVE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU END UP WITH!!!

HOWEVER, I can say for personal fact that any seller who adopts / switches to your new method of doing business will automatically make my personal "Good Seller" list. What a great tool for both the buyer and seller!!!! Again, I know there are "one of sellers" on eBay who have no use for this method - I am referring to those who repeatdly sell watches on eBay.

Look out bad guys!!!!!!!!!! Both those that sell crap and those who switch products and want refunds!!!

Am I alone in my thoughts / feelings???

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post19 Jan 2007, 23:52

It won't end ALL monkey business but...
If my DOT is intact, I will take it back!!

I had toyed with the idea of a package where you could stick your fingers in and press the buttons, all sealed with custom printed tamper proof tape. That could have been done for $.50 per piece - essentially the cheapest, thinnest tupperware type container with two finger holes drilled into it, and the tamper-proof tape around the entire top. I've never had a watch arrive to a customer "dead", but I have had two where the watch quit within a few days(one supposedly...the "Angry customer" I related here a month ago) - the other was a Hamilton that tended to float in it's case maybe .5mm(probably bored out on Friday or Monday :lol: ). The Hamilton I fixed up with a little dab of black epoxy on the module side opposite the buttons(all filed and smoothed so it is very hard to find) - happy buyer! Even if the person has had it a week or two, I'd certainly take a look at a piece and try to make it right. Especially if I can identify the module as having came from me originally.

It's like I say on my site - (a)the passing of broken watches causes the biggest loss of collectors, new and old; and,(b)it ain't bad luck, it's @ssholes doing bad stuff to other people.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post19 Jan 2007, 23:56

First class idea, good on you for doing this Ed it'll give your customers peace of mind and confidence to buy your watches.

My 2001 Honda CBR600 had what was called Smartwater which is exactly the same type of marking system, each bike had this applied to all the major components so if stolen and broken up into parts they could be traced to the original owner and the thieving scum jailed.

Have you had much trouble with people swapping out modules, I've been thinking about thinning out my watches recently but his has given me something to consider...Hmmm.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post20 Jan 2007, 06:44

I guess I've lucked out. In the 5 years of selling, I've never had anyone try to swap a module before.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton