It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:32

Pulsar SS calculator Refinish and module swap

• Author

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Pulsar SS calculator Refinish and module swap

Post19 May 2013, 21:08

I got this non working SS calculator to swap the module from my Gold Filled one that I seldom used just from being too shiny.
This is the hardest refinish so far, men those pushers are tiny. now swapping the module out that was a nail-biter. at the end everything turned out great ~:(
Enjoy the pictures, by now the watch refuses to leave my wrist :mega:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Pulsar SS calculator Refinish and module swap

Post19 May 2013, 21:16

Phasar66 wrote:I got this non working SS calculator to swap the module from my Gold Filled one that I seldom used just from being too shiny.
This is the hardest refinish so far, men those pushers are tiny. now swapping the module out that was a nail-biter. at the end everything turned out great ~:(

I don't know how to add more than 3 pictures on the post so here are more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 May 2013, 21:23

Phasar66 wrote:
Phasar66 wrote:I got this non working SS calculator to swap the module from my Gold Filled one that I seldom used just from being too shiny.

I don't know how to add more than 3 pictures on the post so here are more.

and more.

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post19 May 2013, 21:25

What a great job Phasar. It must have taken many hours. A really impressive finish, no wonder it never leaves your wrist.

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post19 May 2013, 23:54

He's a good student; he learned my techniques well. Excellent job...

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 May 2013, 00:25

Thanks Bruce, I told you, I been watching you. I had a few hiccups specially pushers. It turned out I brushed them the wrong way at first, Vertically instead of horizontally.
The problem was brushing them in the direction of the case turned them almost impossible to see, by reflecting the light sideways, you get the picture. Then finding a way not to round the edges and not to go too deep and trash them, I was really mortified about this when I had to give them a second re-brush the right way. I was also lucky the Chrystal was mineral glass and not Sapphire and your heat gun technique worked out great, otherwise I will really need your help on this. Overall it was time consuming but I'm very happy with the end result

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post20 May 2013, 14:29

very well done, I always forget to take some "before" pictures to show the difference, yours are excellent.
you're lucky that the glass was not the sandwich type with two layers of transparent glass assembled with red glue which is not heat-resistant.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post20 May 2013, 20:42

Beautiful work, and attention to detail: WOW,

Just a note, the three I have restored all have the double sapphire plus red filter lens. Using a hair dryer until the crystal was hot to the touch allowed the epoxy to soften without distorting or melting the red plastic film. Clear epoxy on the mineral glass edge was applied when re-glueing.

Cheers, Geoff

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post20 May 2013, 21:21

Hello Geoff,

Good news: The Fraunhofer lab Berlin has done your calc modules, however I still cannot pick them up because I´am waiting that they will do the rest.

Hanno.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post20 May 2013, 21:30

Thanks Hanno!!

No rush as I can wear the above one when in the mood :-D

Let me know how much! Also can you mark the package "watches returned from repair" as they dinged me 125$ for import duty on new watches last time. After 5 months of 'proof' they would not refund the difference.

Cheers, Geoff

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Aug 2021, 22:32

After years of patiently waiting for the right opportunity I finally got a working Pulsar Calculator Model 901. Any ideas why Pulsar relocated the R and S keys as well as the C and = keys too? Also were all 901 models fitted with the laminated crystal with the red filter? I don't plan on removing that part as it seems like a risky move given my lack of experience.

thank you,
Robert

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton