Guru

Guru

Pulsar Lamp

Post17 Mar 2014, 06:34

I just noticed this Pulsar lamp, used as a prop in someone's auction:
Pulsar_Lamp.png

Never seen one of these before. Looks pretty cool :mega:
Rgds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Pulsar Lamp

Post17 Mar 2014, 11:57

I spotted that also, I asked the seller about the item and he was kind enough to reply ......

"Hi….I am a PULSAR LED collector and I came across someone selling this vintage jeweler's PULSAR LED advertising lamp presumably used on a counter in the store, it spins slowly and makes it looks like the lines are moving in the name of PULSAR!"

If I can work out a way to send him my email or to receive his email address via eBay then he also has some photo's to send me.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post17 Mar 2014, 15:40

Take a photo of your email address, send him the image ;-)

Old_timer

Nerd

Nerd

Post17 Mar 2014, 17:07

"..it spins slowly and makes it look like the lines are moving in the name of PULSAR!"

That is cool. I was wondering about that too.

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post17 Mar 2014, 17:47

Also, assuming you have a normal email address ending in .com then something like:

Name---AtGmail----

Or

Name---AtY@hoo---

usually works

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post17 Mar 2014, 20:58

The seller has very kindly sent me additional photo's and other information on the lamp.

I don't know the seller but what a nice man to go to all trouble of working out a route to send me his email address, photographing and measuring the lamp and allowing me to share it with the forum - it's good to know that people like him do still exist :-D I will have to keep an eye out on his auctions!

Anyhow here's the photo's and details....

16" High, circumf of top drum is 7" round; middle drum is 5" round, and bottom stand drum is 7" round. Brown leatherette around middle drum and bottom drum capped with a black plastic ring and under that looking like brushed stainless steel. Probably a 40w bulb inside which illuminates the Pulsar name with lines that seem to move due to a turning drum inside. In line turn switch to turn on and off.

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0017.JPG

The lamp looks pretty swish, it would look great in the display cabinet. :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Mar 2014, 03:18

Wonder if that lamp is from Time Computer era or when it got bought by Seiko and use for advertisement at the jewelers, by the way He is a very nice guy from New York. I had traded with Him in the past . .

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2014, 08:56

Looks cool. I can just imagine the lines moving behind the Pulsar Quartz lettering.
I would say it's almost certianly from the Time Computer period. The font of the lettering, the colour scheme and the styling indicate Time Computer and the 1970s.
Rgds.

Old_timer

Nerd

Nerd

Post18 Mar 2014, 13:19

bucko170 wrote:The seller has very kindly sent me additional photo's and other information on the lamp....The lamp looks pretty swish, it would look great in the display cabinet. :-D

top bloke indeed - and thanks also to you for following up and posting the pictures.

I'm thinking that the rotating part probably works by heated air rising from the bulb, acting on a spinning vane-wheel, similar to the way old "flame effect" electric fires produced their moving light patterns on plastic fake coal, or children’s moving pattern lights work – which makes me think, what will happen in the future with the continued move to lower energy lighting? - To items like this lamp and similar hot bulb powered items, like Mathmos lava lamps. I guess someone will probably come out with a combined low energy bulb + heat generator to replace the old lamps.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2014, 16:44

Additional info from the watch seller.....

"the lamp comes from our state of Pennsylvania and originally had a tan felt middle with about 10 plastic clear clips going around the middle drum. I screwed them off (and have them but covered the middle drum with brown leatherette".

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post23 Mar 2014, 23:35

The seller offer me a swap deal for the lamp - I declined the offer but if anyone is interested the lamp is available for sale or trade, the seller has granted me permission to pass on his contact details to any interested parties..... although if you are interested don't wait too long, I might change my mind yet. ;-)

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton