It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:05

Pulsar calculator Maintenance or miracle?

• Author

baldjamie

Pulsar calculator Maintenance or miracle?

Post06 Jan 2016, 07:50

image.jpeg
I have recently bought a pulsar calculator watch on eBay. Made the mistake of believing (and hoping) it was a simple case of replacing the batteries and I have a bargain. Only to find that wasn't the case and at this point I have a nice bracelet. Before I give up and cough up to buy a working one I would appreciate some advice on how of who could fix this. Or if it's even worth it.

Attached are some photos of the batteries that I found in there and the state of the module and connections as far as I can see. Looks like some toasted connectors and some antique and I'll looking batteries.

Thanks in advance

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Pulsar calculator Maintenance or miracle?

Post06 Jan 2016, 08:13

That ribbon connection over the battery contact is wrong
also, do you have the battery hold down for the lower batteries
clean contacts and try new batteries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

baldjamie

Post06 Jan 2016, 13:13

Thanks for the advice

I do have the bit to hold down the bottom two and 4 new batteries.
I don't have a felt tip pen for cleaning connections. Is there another way, or should I just wait for a pen to be posted? A couple of connections do look a bit toasted.

Thanks again, much appreciated
James

baldjamie

Post07 Jan 2016, 03:04

Despite the potential "in watch barbecue" cleaned connectors and new batteries and we have action. Albeit uncontrolable.

Basically I have has the 8 symble with or without the decimal point moving from right to left. It started up quickly and has now slowed to what seems to be a halt (just notice the decimal point going on and off. What is has shown is the led is both fully functional and surprisingly bright and the crystal is clean and sharp.

However, having gone through the manual attempts to set the watch using the "s" key, toggle between the time and calculator and watch and press the command key have failed to elicit a response.

Whilst I am pleased and surprised to get to this stage, if I could get the time set I would be delighted. My only thought is the classic turn if off and turn it on trick. I fear the 8 is the equivalent to the blue screen of death?

And having picked it up a couple of time I have noticed movement seems to change the position of the 8, which can't be good, I hope just a coincidence.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Jan 2016, 04:44

that's nice. well is partially alive, could be an oscillator problem just like on regular LED watch only.
the little cylinder under there. I will clean again the battery contacts real good and try
sometimes there are some resistance remaining and don't let full power go upstream
don't go further then that for now and don't remove the module, hold on for more help
use a Q-tip and alcohol for cleaning, a fiberglass pen will be great.
Also discharge yourself of any static electricity, it fries working modules.

baldjamie

Post15 Jan 2016, 08:58

Thanks again for the advice,

Contacts cleaned and again I had a positive sign of life this time two dots in the centre of the display, very bright. But pressing the s key or indeed any key failed to get a response.

Below are the photos of the contacts. The only potential issue is the piece that holds the batteries down on the module looks like it has been ground and doesn't have same shine as the rest. I assume it's a sold piece of metal and doesn't need a coating to make the connection?

Is there a next step worth trying? Or any one in Australia who has the ability to repair this model?

Thanks again,
James

baldjamie

Post28 Jan 2016, 23:06

Very greatful for any further advice on this. I am at a dead end with a watch which as some signs of life.

Many thanks,
James

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post05 Feb 2016, 09:00

Gently warm the watch with a hair dryer and keep an eye on the display, sometimes watches come back to life doing this.

If it does let it cool to see if it still works, if not then that's another issue altogether with possibly no fix.

This has worked for me in the past...cycle warming the watch then cooling it in the refrigerator, strange as this may sound its brought back to life a few watches for me.

Good luck.

baldjamie

Post10 Jun 2016, 00:21

Tanks for the advice - batterie terminals now very clean and done properly. Tried the warming trick with no luck and now I don't even get the 8 or the dots to display.

I may try another set of new batteries given they don't cost much. But beyond that I am a bit stuck.

Any further advice perhaps on where and how to replace the oscillator?

Any further help much appreciated.

Thanks
James

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post11 Jun 2016, 01:39

I admire you for your persistence in trying to fix that watch. Having been in that situation a time or two, I found that unloading that thing and moving on was the best medicine for me. Frustrating for sure but your (good) options on these watches is very limited.

lex

Post10 Feb 2017, 11:55

I know how you feel. I have a 901 that displays and tells the time great, but the calculator doesn't work.. What to do?!

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton