It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:15

Light Sensor

• Author

primepulsar

Geek

Geek

Light Sensor

Post11 Feb 2017, 04:47

I was looking for a little more info on the light sensor on pulsar modules. I have a watch that a tested and part of a digit lit up. When I took the module out of the case I noticed the light sensor was off the module. What effect with this have on the module? Is it possible to reattach it? If so, what would be used to secure back to the module. Is it possible to have a completely working module with no light sensor? Any info would be much appreciated.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Light Sensor

Post11 Feb 2017, 21:40

On P2 and P3 modules, the light sensor was normally affixed with conductive silver epoxy (evidently, the part did not fare well, when exposed to soldering-level temperatures). Part of the problem is the gold-plated pads the sensor went on (no adhesive sticks well to gold...it's one of the best naturally non-stick surfaces around). The other part is the passage of time; after 40+ years, the epoxy had just lost it's stickiness. All that's need then is a moderate sideways jolt, and the part breaks free. I've seen dozens of watches with such "loose" sensors. The fix is simple; just scrape or gently sand the old adhesive off the part, to expose the connection pads at the ends, and re-attach using conductive epoxy (any modern composition is probably vastly better than anything in use 40 years ago).
This a CdS (cadmium sulfide) sensor, so resistance decreases as light input increases. With the sensor detached, the module "sees" that as zero resistance, and turns the brightness all the way up. So, no sensor = full brightness display. Aside from the increased battery drain, this causes no damage.
As an aside, on later modules (P4s, Ladies models), the sensor IS actually soldered to the board, effectively eliminating this failure mechanism.

primepulsar

Geek

Geek

Re: Light Sensor

Post11 Feb 2017, 22:42

Thank you very much for that information!

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton