It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:12

P3 modules

• Author

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Re: P3 modules

Post22 Feb 2006, 10:47

Why would someone make a risky and time consuming repair with out of date watches in the 80's?

I'm sure some people in the very early 80's still liked these and wore them but I bet it was more 77 to 79 where people were sending these to this person.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post22 Feb 2006, 11:17

I would agree as all people selling them mentioned that they had them repaired in the late 70's.

The Time Computer

Geek

Geek

Post23 Feb 2006, 18:44

Guys, the only mystery I see here is??.. Why would anyone send their watch anywhere else but to the Authorized Service Center until after 1984? Both the toll & toll-free phone lines were working until March 31st, 1984. If anyone claims they sent a watch in for repairs it certainly wasn?t sent to the Factory authorized Service Center in Lancaster.

It not only is possible, I can prove that at least two of the major Service Centers that were to send all the inventory back to Time Computer did not do so. For instance, the Service Center in the Midwest had hundreds of cases, modules and miscellaneous parts that didn?t make the trip. I tracked these parts to their final resting-place and many of the watches on eBay today have been retrofitted with these parts.

If any out of warranty watch needing service (such as many early P2-P3 units) after March 31st 1977 made it to one of the Service Centers that didn?t send the inventory back, the repair would be total profit for that Service Center. I know of one Center who never notified his Dealers and did repairs for years. He certainly did not have access to any parts from Lancaster and was forced to use what he had. Like always, it was money that motivated these repairs and as another member mentioned, these repairs are not near the quality of TC. The women who worked in the Lancaster facility that built all the modules also did the repairs at both the private and Factory Service Centers. They would be offended to be associated with any of these repairs!

I can somewhat understand why one doesn?t want to accept this due to the depleted value of these watches. I have more than one source on this subject and feel no need to dig any further. Sorry but the bottom line is they are not original and the repairs were not authorized.

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post24 Feb 2006, 00:54

That IS the explanation!!!

Would you please prove that the stock hasn't been sent back to TC!
I can prove that at least two of the major Service Centers that were to send all the inventory back to Time Computer did not do so

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post24 Feb 2006, 20:20

Would you please prove that the stock hasn't been sent back to TC!

This should be interesting ! 8)

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Mar 2006, 01:44

Just been looking at a few old DWF posts, and had a thought. Could the mystery repairer be 'watchtronic'? I'm making no definitive claim that it is them, but it might be? As watchtronic no longer repair LED's, it's not of any great importance even if it were them, but it would be good to solve the mystery.

The Time Computer

Geek

Geek

Post02 Mar 2006, 17:10

Watchronics is just one of many who altered Pulsar modules, they used a non-original display with lines. I have seen altered modules in the last ten years or so come from Germany, Australia, the US and the UK to mention a few. The bulk of many "Frankenstein" modules came from a guy in the Northeast of the US. As I don?t like to drop names, his initials are KF and he sold hundreds of non-working modules on eBay in the past years under the eBay ID "watchman1965".

As I mentioned before, I tracked down the leftover Pulsar watches and parts from the Midwest Service Center. They first stayed in Chicago for a few years then went to Montana. They were sold as a lot (five 70-pound boxes) to a guy in Ohio. Although most of that shipment has been depleted what?s left is still there today. Many of these parts have made it to "Re-Sellers" on eBay, we all know them so please ask them were they got the parts. In addition to the leftover stock from the Midwest Service Center, the guy in Ohio also purchased a substantial amount of the watches & parts from the privately owned Factory Service Center that closed in 1984.

In the late 80s and early 90s KF worked for this guy in Ohio on a regular basis repairing and building Pulsar LED watches from parts. I know for a fact he is responsible for many of these P3 altered modules. We all know of the "no-original" Solid Gold Dress watch with the Green module in all those watch books. KF is the person who built that watch, it was sold to the owner of a famous watch magazine in Japan in the late 80s for a staggering amount. I don?t think he would be pleased if he knew it was not a watch that came out of the Time Computer facility.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Mar 2006, 20:38

Thanks The Time Computer. That's an incredible amount of knowledge you have on the subject. I hope that does put thing's to rest :)

BTW ~4months to wait for the new Time Computer :) I'll be looking forward to that. Only hope I can afford it. Better start saving now :)

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Mar 2006, 01:30

I guess that's the same "watchman 1965" who's selling a green P4 module on ebay right now.

Funny - if he's so adept at working on Time computer modules then I would have thought he would know whether this works or not and would have clearly stated it in the description.

(I'm just paranoid about this sort of thing after having realised the full horror of my "spare caseback" to "working watch" ratio...)

DB.

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post04 Mar 2006, 10:48

To be fair to "watchman" though, he's not the only person that puts "working condition unknown" when they fully know whether it works or not .

I think the favourite one is .. " Took it to my jeweller and he didn't have any batteries to fit " !!!! Horse poo !!! :x What they mean to say is.. " I opened the back and all this green corrosive gunk came out with the old batteries still left in place form 20 years ago!! .... Sold as seen ... yeah right :oops:

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post05 Mar 2006, 16:56

I think we can keep on talking about sellers claiming 'untested' and you get a watch with batteries contacts deeply scratched and obviously furiously tested ,
but for the P3 frankies modules, I think " TIME COMPUTER" has said everything and the Mystery is gone :arrow:

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post09 Mar 2006, 07:45

Simon,

Don't forget this one: "I took it to my jeweler and he didn't have the special tool to get the back off".

ledwatch

Banned

Post09 Mar 2006, 10:10

Has anyone noticed that the phrase ''some scratches that should easily buff out'' seems to be gaining in popularity?

:lol:

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post09 Mar 2006, 10:27

Not too fast guys, I need to write them down :lol:

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post09 Mar 2006, 11:50

Hey, pehaps we should collectively do a "buyers guide" to the LED scammers on EBay ??? :P

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post16 Mar 2006, 08:32

What about this one recently seen:
"Takes 2 batteries but I have only one, needs one more."
:?
Previous

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton