It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:41

Time computer re-plate

• Author

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Time computer re-plate

Post17 Jul 2006, 18:03

I have an Omega TC( body only) that i want to get replated. I intend to remove the timescreen, buttons, module so it will be just a bare body. The original was gold filled not plated, so i would prefer that process. Any body know any companies that are willing to carry out this work on a one off basis in the UK-thanks :D

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Time computer re-plate

Post17 Jul 2006, 23:44

Gold-fill is a process that involves pouring molten base metal into a mold lined with a thin shell of gold. Once the casting is complete, if the gold wears through, it cannot be "re-filled". It would have to be plated, where gold is electrolytically deposited on an existing surface. For any worthwhile cosmetic results, the case would also have to be completely re-finished, to eliminate any surface imperfections. Between the labor to do that, and the cost of the 80-micron plating [which would be quite high, with gold now in the $660/oz range], unless this watch is of great sentimental value, the project is rendered economically unfeasible. I really love the massive TC models, but they are effectively impossible to restore once the gold layer has been seriously worn, or the case deeply scratched [this limitation does not apply to the solid stainless steel or 18K models]. Good-looking but non-working Omegas come up for sale periodically on eBay; if you have a good module, your best bet to re-construct a top-condition, working watch is probably there.

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post18 Jul 2006, 00:32

I've had a Zenith watch restored including a case gold plating , new crystal and mouvement cleaning for 110 euros , my opinion is it's worth trying.
don't you think?
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post18 Jul 2006, 03:31

Typical goldplate is 10 or 20 micron; the Omega goldfill is 80 micron [.0032 inch]. So to do this right, the gold needs to be very thick [comparatively speaking], and this is a BIG watch, with a lot of surface area! And don't forget the bracelet and clasp; a lot more area here, and you'll have to do them both [including refinishing], or the color won't match. I say again, unless this particular watch has some special significance [or for some reason, cost is just not a significant factor in the equation], there is no viable economic return in undertaking a project of this scope...a shame, really, but that's just the way it is.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Jul 2006, 17:53

Sorry Bruce, i should have included more information in the original thread, the watch is white gold (the bracelet is s/steel) so will not need touching. The plate wear is pretty minimal and on the side of the watch where it's not immeadiately noticable but because the rest of the watch is so nice-ie no dings, perfect timescreen, i thought i might get it re-done. Its not sentimental at all but one i intended to keep, it seems such a shame not to do it.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Jul 2006, 21:42

If you can afford it and it's something you really like then surely it's worth doing for yourself, not for anyone else or your wallet. Consider it a merry unbirthday present to yourself :D

Incidentally I was doing some surfing and I came across a site that offered gold plating pens, no need for messy solutions. I didn't have time to investigate further as my children started to try and eat each other but I can hunt it down if you're interested.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Jul 2006, 22:22

Hi fitron, i contacted a couple of companies i found on the web "no job too small" types but didnt receive a reply from any of them. I was hoping a member may have had something re-plated somewhere and was happy with the finished item :D

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post18 Jul 2006, 22:43

This complication makes the situation even more problematical. I don't know of anyone, in San Diego or anywhere else, that does WHITE gold plating. It's a very special and specific alloy, and would certainly have to be done on a custom basis [translation: much more expensive]. The watch sounds like it's already in far better-than-avarage condition; given that, I would just learn to just love it as it is, with its' minor imperfections.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Jul 2006, 21:51

http://www.intertronics.co.uk/products/chun.htm

Having looked at it when I get some peace and quiet (after THEY have gone to bed) I don't think it's what you're looking for but for future reference it might be handy. Keep us informed if you do find someone.

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post19 Jul 2006, 22:25

http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=1251
We talked about this here before without clear answer but you can still ask zoesandra.
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

Return to Omega and GP