It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 11:43

Fake Omega !

• Author

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Fake Omega !

Post17 Jun 2007, 09:31

Before we all get excited about an "undiscovered" Omega model..

This is a fake ! Its just a plain Nat Sem LED with a poorly printed timescreen ... The case back looks authentic from a real 1602/03

Have a look ! :oops:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GF-Omega-Constellat ... dZViewItem

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

re: Fake Omega !

Post17 Jun 2007, 11:05

I'm surprised this guy has listed it as he has good feedback, lots of sales and his other items look quality :shock:

redled

Techie

Techie

Post17 Jun 2007, 16:40

But, if it's a fake, why would a genuine Omega caseback fit on a NatSem case? Isn't it possible that Omega branded a National Semiconductor watch at some point in order to save development and manufacturing cost and try to compete at the low end of the market as LED's became commodity items?

If it's a modern fake they would have to have a number of NOS National watches and go to the trouble of making fake backs and screening the crystal. But the only ones who would pay more for an Omega LED are collectors, who would be less likely to be fooled.

Which scenario is more likely? I don't know!

leddwatch

Banned

Post17 Jun 2007, 17:37

I just checked and the casebacks have the same thread, someone has realised that and then printed the timescreen, probably with lettraset or something - very crafty.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jun 2007, 17:44

It just looks such a crock of cheap shit, the caseback is off a Constellation going from the serial number. I'm with Simon on this one -ITS FAKE :!: :!:

redled

Techie

Techie

Re: re: Fake Omega !

Post17 Jun 2007, 17:59

leddwatch wrote:I just checked and the casebacks have the same thread, someone has realised that and then printed the timescreen, probably with lettraset or something - very crafty.

Good work, now we're getting somewhere! I agree, it looks like it's an intentional fake, but again, one easily spotted by experts so I doubt it will be bringing the kind of money the fraudster expects. Also, I don't think the seller necessarily knows it's a fake; showing a picture of the module then claiming it's a genuine Omega module indicates he doesn't know the difference.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post18 Jun 2007, 03:28

I notified the seller of the issues...I thought he had pulled the sale...just checked, $102.50 and still going strong. :?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post18 Jun 2007, 09:23

Update; checked at 12:22 PDT...auction ended "because item is no longer for sale". Honesty may actually prevailed for a change...

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post21 Jun 2007, 01:53

redled wrote:...in order to save development and manufacturing cost and try to compete at the low end of the market...

what kind of development? ;)
The Omega group didn't do anything in the field of LED watches aside buying out Hamilton and later HMW and thus having ready Pulsar modules without any R&D. That scenario followed later by US modules made by Frontier.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jun 2007, 02:16

azimuth_pl wrote:
redled wrote:...in order to save development and manufacturing cost and try to compete at the low end of the market...

what kind of development? ;)
The Omega group didn't do anything in the field of LED watches aside buying out Hamilton and later HMW and thus having ready Pulsar modules without any R&D. That scenario followed later by US modules made by Frontier.

Oh ok then, replace 'save' with 'continue to avoid', although the argument is now anachronistic.

leddwatch

Banned

Post22 Jun 2007, 00:42

Anachronistic!! Bloody good word, thats what we need round here, some more people of culture, well done, my learned and eloquent friend...... :lol:

redled

Techie

Techie

Post23 Jun 2007, 14:09

leddwatch wrote:Anachronistic!! Bloody good word, thats what we need round here, some more people of culture, well done, my learned and eloquent friend...... :lol:

...Thx :oops:

Return to Omega and GP