It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:45

Need Help with Replacing Omega Module

• Author

mmuniz1

Need Help with Replacing Omega Module

Post10 Jan 2010, 21:37

Hello, I have owned an Omega led watch for years I would like to get going again. I sent it out for repair but I was told the module was not repairable. I bought a donor watch on EBay last year but it has a slightly different module than the original unit in my watch. The new module is about the same size and seems to fit in my green holder but it does not line up with the original buttons.

Is there some modification I can do to make it fit? Either to the original holder or the new one? Or do I have to go back and find another module. I appreciate any advice I can get for this. I don't really care about originality, I just want to wear this watch. It's ultra-cool.

Thanks,

Mario

mmuniz1

: Need Help with Replacing Omega Module

Post10 Jan 2010, 21:46

I've been trying to post some pictures of my project without luck. Any advice in this regard is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mario

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jan 2010, 01:39

mmuniz1

Post11 Jan 2010, 01:56

OK, Let's see if this picture works.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2702/picture0264.jpg

mmuniz1

Post11 Jan 2010, 01:56

OK, Let's see if this picture works.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jan 2010, 19:32

The PCB is the same as a Frontier module, they are not the easiest to come by in working condition one of the other members on here is looking for the same type. Unless some kind individual comes forward with one its Ebay I'am afraid.

Does your module show any signs of life at all a single red number etc...?

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Jan 2010, 12:46

The exact circuit board used in the Omega Digital 1 was a Frontier 2006 and the big problem with these is the diamond saw trimmed oscillator feedback resistor. If the batteries leak or even just the vapour from them condenses on the cut edges the resistor slowly (over the last thirty years) goes low in value and stops the oscillator dead. Carefu washing of this component sometimes restores function- its the large black rectangular thing on the circuit board at the top on the other side from the crystal.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Re: : Need Help with Replacing Omega Module

Post12 Jan 2010, 20:28

Old Tom wrote:the diamond saw trimmed oscillator feedback resistor. its the large black rectangular thing on the circuit board at the top on the other side from the crystal.

Interesting, I've got a few dead ones lying around please show on mmuniz1's picture which component it is.

mmuniz1

Post23 Jan 2010, 19:32

OK. Just to add some additional information, the module I purchased on ebay is a Frontier module 2005. It looks and works like new. Is there any modification I can do to this one to get it to work? Any ideas and help are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mario

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post23 Jan 2010, 19:59

Mario:
You have every thing you need parts wise. You know how the Omega module comes apart( and you know or can see) that the circuit board has a notch in it that is locks in against, along with a clip opposite that which is part of the outer plastic housing. Your Fronier module should drop right in - place against the round notch, then snap the other side down. You will want to be sure to clean and very gently scrub the contact points where the button contacts and springs touch the circuit board - those green sanding scrubbers are fine. Real gentle, those contact points on the board are aluminum (alloy?) Probably the worst part is that sometimes the old plastic doesn't snap together as tight as it once did and you have to glue the module front on to make good contact consistently. Clamp very gently around the edge if you go that route.

May the Force be with you[couldn't resist]. !@@!
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Omega and GP